• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Is there anything better than a Blues Jr. in terms of prize, size and volume?

k tone

I must have got a good one because I like it better than the SCXD and Pro Jr that I had/ sold. I did re-cab it and put a different speaker in it though. I do like my DRRI better than the BJ though.

IM4Tone

I must have got a good one because I like it better than the SCXD and Pro Jr that I had/ sold. I did re-cab it and put a different speaker in it though. I do like my DRRI better than the BJ though.
And that is key to optimizing the sound of the BJr. (I converted mine to a head and play thru a 2X12). BUT, I don't like the idea of buying a $500+ amp and needing to spend another couple of $100 to optimize it. Without doing so, it is just OK.

One of Roland's Blues Cubes...the latest: "Blues Cube Hot"
Don't get hung up on tubes vs. solid state....make the choice on sound.
LISTEN
AGAIN
Not to negate what you just said (which is true) - but 30w of solid state power....is that enough volume to do anything but small gigs? Only curious because I remember gigging with a 30w digital modeling amp which would squeal in a horrible way whenever we tried to match it up with the drums unless we used the noise gate functions. It was a lot of trouble.

slavenoid

Silver Supporting Member
Most of the pros down here use the 60 roland cube. On most gigs I use the Vox VT40+, either one or two amps set to the AC30 setting in manual mode. Don't laugh. I have a 70s MKI, 81MKII B and a very nice AC30TBX, But I find these little Vox amps get you 90% there, at least they do for me. I use a pedal board, but if you get the proprietary footswitch and have programming talent, it is all you need. Be sure to get the + version though.

IM4Tone

Not to negate what you just said (which is true) - but 30w of solid state power....is that enough volume to do anything but small gigs? Only curious because I remember gigging with a 30w digital modeling amp which would squeal in a horrible way whenever we tried to match it up with the drums unless we used the noise gate functions. It was a lot of trouble.
Listen to "AGAIN". Kingman will tell you.

gtrplr71

I played a BJ Hot Rod III with the sparkle mod a few days back. I thought it sounded nice, great Fender cleans, breaks up nicely. My only issue with it is the reverb starts washing out at 4 but at 2 it adds some nice body. I use pedals anyway. very Raunchy bluesy gain when needed but roll back the volume and it cleans up nice. The brite circuit seems different that earlier models. Overall I like the cleans. not a noisy amp to my ears with a Tele. But is a total rocker with my Charvel. Unlike the HR series it seems to have a smoother MV. A big deal might have been the Celestion Type A speaker.

Last edited:

HTSMetal

I'll give some praise to the Blues Junior as well. I have one with a Cannabis Rex speaker, brought it to rehearsal with the Motown act I'm currently playing in the other day. Normally we have a backlined 70's Silverface Pro Reverb (which is a nice amp, don't get me wrong), but everyone remarked at how good the little Blues Junior sounded after rehearsal. They're perfectly capable amps with a great sound if you take the time to experiment and learn their eccentricities. Keeping the Master Volume dimed is also key to unlocking their best sounds.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom