Is there anything NOT to like about the Bassman RI?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by stratotastic, Feb 15, 2009.

1. stratotastic

stratotastic Supporting Member

I see lots of love everywhere for the Bassman Reissue. I'm wondering what the downsides are, if any.

I'm thinking of giving up my Stiletto Ace and going back to a clean amp + dirt pedals. I play modern alt rock, some classic rock, blues, funk, so I need something that provides a nice fat, solid foundation. The Bassman RI seems perfect--just would like to hear from some folks that have had one for a while and if there's anything that annoys you about it (other than the weight).

Thanks.

2. Vibro

Vibro Member

Bassman is a great foundation for a pedalboard. Weight is not really an issue, considering it's a 4-10, it's pretty light. Also, it's a 4-10 and you could get a fatter sound using 12's.
    Overall I don't think you can go wrong.
    A Super reverb would give you more sparkle and reverb.

3. southernblues

southernblues Member

The great thing about the RI is the versatility of it. I don't think even the most tenured player (or tenured with with the amp) knows everything this thing holds. You can bridge the channels and get some signficantly different tones.

I'm downsizing my amps right now due to a move and job prospects (could be better!) so I'm putting mine in the emporium this week. PM me if your interested otherwise be looking for it on the emporium.

4. jazzwannabe

jazzwannabe Supporting Member

I'm an owner. If there's anything about the LTD not to like, it's that it's a ridiculously bright amp even at moderate EQ settings, and like the originals the lows are flabby. I keep the treble and bass controls all the way off (there is still plenty of low end) and get the highs I want from the mid and presence controls. Some guys don't dig the Jensen speakers, and others don't want an amp with PCBs. Fender also uses three 12AX7s in the preamp, but the originals had a 12AY7 in V1. Swap that one out with a lower-gain tube for glassier cleans and more headroom.

5. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

Although it is a very bright amp I found that it helps if you jumper the channels and keep the "normal" volume higher than the "bright" volume. This helps tame the brightness. All in all the best amp I have ever owned and I have owned over 15 amps in my 26 years of guitar playing.

6. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Personally, I prefer the original reissue '59 Bassman over the newer LTD version. I think the original's Eminence blue frame speakers sound better than the RI Jensen's and its plywood cab gives it a tighter bottom.

7. stratotastic

Wow, this amp looks like a winnah. I like bright amps so that is not really an issue--I'm currently using a Stiletto Ace for God's sake! :)

8. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I didn't like it, not surprising really. Why don't you get another REALLY good channel switcher like a Budda SD 30. I like the cleans much, much better and it has a killer od section. Shiva, Oranges, etc. would also be worth looking into. I have never plugged into a Mesa and been able to dial up a tone I like, the other amps I've mentioned...no problem at all. I'de take a Peavey Classic 30/50 over a Mesa anyday. But that's just me, hahahaa.

9. sqadan

sqadan Member

Love my Bassman LTD... folks complaining about the speakers have not allowed them to break in it seems to me... they mellow out over time and some of the brightness can be tamed with a preamp tube swap - and the above suggestion of jumpering the channels and keeping the normal channel slightly higher than the bright.

Also, the bright channel beefs up significantly at gigging volumes...

My favorite amp out of all the amps I've owned - fantastic cleans, great crunch, light weight, simple.... what else could you ask for?

10. stratotastic

Thanks for the suggestions. The Budda sounds like a really cool option. I'll have to keep an eye out. I know this is superficial but I just cannot get over the look of Oranges, and the Shiva is a bit out of my price range. Part of the issue I have with the Stiletto isn't necessarily the tone--there are plenty of great tones in there--just that I find there to be too many options. (I've been derided for saying that since the Stiletto is one of their simpler amps to manage, but I guess that speaks to my interest in/need for a stupid-simple amp).

Someone actually just offered me a trade for an AC30 with blues. Hmmmmm...

11. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

From the brands of amps you mentioned it is obvious why you didn't like the Bassman. The Bassman won't do the mid-high gain stuff without the help of a pedal. If you tried a Bassman hoping it would play Van Halen you were looking in the wrong place. Here's what the Bassman is: It's an amp with crystal clear cleans and organic touch sensitivity that provides an awesome platform for pedals.
    Yes, by all means if you want one amp that can do the really nice clean and Marshall crunch (heavy saturation) the Bassman may not be for you. If you put an OCD or a Crunch Box in front it will do all this and then some!!

12. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

I may be mistaken, but doesn't the tweed bassman have 4 separate speaker outs (one for each speaker) in parallel for a 2 ohm load? As a fan of the ultimate attenuator (ho attenuator) that makes for a difficult match.

13. sqadan

sqadan Member

There are wiring harness / adapter available to remedy this issue.

14. drgonzoguitar

drgonzoguitar Member

or use a 2ohm THD Hotplate. Works great with my '71 SR

15. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Yep, lots of good info here already. I'll just add to it by saying that I historically have always hated the newer Jensen P10Rs, but I'm not in any hurry to swap them out of my Bassman. And I swap almost EVERY stock speaker I get at some point or another. I still think they're ****** speakers in the grand scheme of things, but they work well in this amp - don't forget, even the Vicky comes with those. I'd prefer the Emi Blue Frames though of course. You have to be careful to EQ these amps to sound good instead of tweaking your tone knobs to where you're used to seeing them. Even if that means treble at 9 and bass/mid at 3, which is how mine's generally set up. Contrary to what others have said, I do NOT find this to be an overly bright amp. Maybe if you're used to Marshalls, but if you're coming from BF Fender land there's nothing unusual here. I keep my EQ there to get my base general frequency response where it is. I find that in day-to-day use, the only knobs that get used are the presence and the two volumes. I always play with the channels jumped.

16. tommytomcat

tommytomcat Member

Downsides: 1. It's not a small club amp.. it's really loud when cranked into the sweet spot. 2. When turned down, the bass is fat and the volume of the treble notes get swallowed up. 3. Did I say it was loud?

However, if you can play loud and get away with it, they're good sounding amps...

17. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

OR......throw a pedal in front to acheieve the dirt you need. My Crunch Box sounds great at low volumes.

18. Franktone

Franktone Member

I have the early Bassman reissue with the blue frame speakers. It's a great sounding amp and great for pedals. It can get loud alright, but it sounds at low volumes as well.

19. Miles

Miles Member

No, good amp, get one. My only gripe is that if you're going for a decent amount of headroom on pedals, bassmans tend to break up earlier than Twins. But they sound killer. I mean, for just about any practical gig volume, you're good.

Sweet amps...the stilettos, not Mesa's finest moment by any means...in degrees of shrillness.

20. prickley

prickley Member

Saw a pristine early 90s 59 Bassman... I thinkfirst issue worth $400-?