Is there anyway to super mod your SM57?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by regotheamigo, Jun 26, 2006.

1. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

Just to give it more juice, and girth when recording electric guitars?

2. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

more juice/girth = preamp. Microphones by nature don't give 'more juice' to anything...The device pumping the signal (preamp) does this. A way to have mic give more 'girth' to a recording is to double mic the source, and pan them left and right.

3. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

Yeah, I thought I read some were that there was a way to upgrade your Sm57 so I assummed that's what it was.

4. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

Tape op magazine had an article on modding the '57 so that you could use various external transformers with it.

Send them an E-mail and they might send you the text.

http://www.tapeop.com/

5. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

The Tapeop mod is to remove the transformer from the mic and hardwire the capsule to the XLR. The result is less output. I suppose you could rig up a box with a bunch of transformers to use b/t the modded 57 and preamp but come on, it's just a 57. Leave it alone and focus on more important things like mic placement and amp volume.

FWIW, I did the mod on a Shure 517 (sort of like a 57 but with a switch). I rewired the switch as a transformer bypass. You'd have a difficult time hearing the difference aside from the decreased output. But hey, if you want to boil the mic in order to remove the transformer, I'd be interested to hear your results. (Yes, boiling the mic is part of the TapeOP mod)

6. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    Judging from your recent posts, I assume you are new to home/project recording. Denyle beat me to it, but it bears repeating. Experiment with mic placement (and amp settings) for awhile before you go breaking into the mic. Also, the earlier suggestion to double mic is a good one in my experience. Adds more push or presence to a guitar performance, and if both mics are close mic'ed, you usually won't have to worry about phase issues either.

7. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

Its pretty obvious that I was extremely bored when I asked that question. I really don't have any desire or care to do it. Was just curious.

8. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

I hate to sound like a broken record, but the Audix i5 is a perfect companion to the SM57. It adds what the SM57 is missing, and the 57 adds what the i5 is missing. There are others, but this has seen like a pretty good match for all-around guitar tones, that is, if you can spare an extra channel in your live mixer.

9. covert

covert Member

There's also a mod in Recording magazine, adding resistors to the cable, to modify preamp loading and impedance matching. The 57 can be touchy about impedance. For my two cents, swapping mics around is probably easier.

10. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

It was nice of you to mention that before anyone actually took the time and effort to answer you.

11. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>>Microphones by nature don't give 'more juice' to anything...The device pumping the signal (preamp) does this<<

Actually, I think by "juice" he probably meant a "bigger" sound.

There are lots of mics out there with very big sounds, and many that will accentuate certain timbres and work well with guitar cabinets. Experiment a little.

12. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

Well like I said I was curious so it still was nice to hear people's thought on this. The last guys post about bigger sounding is probably more of what I meant.

13. soulohio

soulohio Member

if you think you need a modded 57...just go buy a beta 57 and you will get a much nicer mic..

14. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

I'm actually getting some great sounds out of the 57 I have, but you know how it goes. Always looking for the bigger and better deal. Some one was telling me about the Audix I5. Anyone ever record with one of these?

15. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

Whoa, hold on there cowboy. Gotta disagree with you here. Better for what application? The Beta 57 is a decent mic, but it is NOT a 57. I've tried quite a few mics and for snare and guitar 57's are hard to beat. Through a GOOD preamp that is. Get one, and you might have new respect for the ol' 57.

To stay on topic, I really don't see the point of modding a 57 personally...

16. soulohio

soulohio Member

i sing thru a beta 57. i find it better than a regular 57,58 or beta 58. i know you can load up a 57 with sound pressure levels and that kinda makes it idiot proof but the mic is just really flat and not dynamically responsive enough for me....i speak from little recording experience with 57's (no nice preamp inline, either) except to do drums and guitars...my suggestion is to try a beta 57 if you want "more"...