• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Is there are any particular reason to build a 21 fret guitar instead of 22 ?

hippieboy

I'm curious, I understand some people want that because of "vintage correct specs" I'm not talking about that.

I'm talking about new guitars, new designs, I vastly prefer to have 22 frets, however it seems its still common to found new expensive guitars with 21 frets, is there another reason, maybe "tone wise" that I'm missing??

hippieboy

I really wanted an EJ Virginia Strat but I refuse to buy a new guitar with 21 frets. Non-starter for me.

And yes, I use it. Both for playing and for reference.

Yes, thats kinda where I'm now, I also refuse to get a 21 fret guitar. Those Novos are nice but the models I like have 21 frets, so that's why I'm curious about why choosing to have 21 frets, is there something more to it?

Yam the BOMB

Platinum Supporting Member
Neck pickup usually sounds better by being just that extra speck further away from the bridge.
But that’s your own opinion if it’s enough better to give up the extra fret.

Update: This is likely incorrect info. Other posters have said the 21 and 22 fret have exactly the same neck length. That is probably the correct info.

Last edited:

Kyusha

if you are building a tele for example, you can shave certain amount of wood from the body to reach the 21st fret as good as on a les paul dc, but you cant do the same with the 22 fret as it would get to "buried" on the body

Maybe from a manufacturing standpoint it’s a cost savings measure? That much less wood x 100,000 = more boards per pallet? IDK - just spitballing.

Go Cat Go!!

On some guitars the neck pocket is not deep enough for the 22nd fret overhang. It actually sits on the pickguard and sometimes creates stress on the fingerboard. A neck shim is necessary, I have a few like that.

Also it can be a pain to remove the pickguard assembly with the 22nd fret.

I normally don't go that high so it's a non issue for me.

Last edited:

CanuckChris

Pickguard fitment. There are some guitar bodies that for whatever reason have a slightly deeper neck pocket, yet still work fine with all the hardware, etc. You can't fit a pickguard under the 22nd fret overhang on those bodies.

jvin248

"I never made any money above the fifth fret" said some famous guitarist.
(Dylan and another both get attributed to this statement)

Many businesses get by with 5% profit margin.
1/22 = 4.5% extra cost in frets and labor over putting 21 frets on a guitar.

If you've ever refretted or crowned/polished frets then it seems like you are moving right along until you get to the 12th fret and realize the end of the fretboard is nearly as many frets to go. Do frets all day long and that one extra is quite tiresome.

The real answer is very few songs go that high. Sure, there are some weedler-weedley mc-shredders that like a run up there occasionally but any popular songs don't go that far.

And

Most electric guitars were birthed from dissatisfaction of playing acoustic guitars loud enough to not get drowned out by the drummer and horns (big band era).

Acoustic guitars had/have 18 or 19 frets on classical/flemenco styles while steel strings had 18 to 20.
So if you are Leo Fender designing up the Telecaster, you offer 'one more fret!' in the sales literature. 'that extra push over the cliff' to have 21 frets. Then later some bloke decided 22 frets was 'the new 11' and then why not have a full two octaves at 24 frets (but this pushes the pickups back) to go to '11'.

Last edited:

ChickenLover

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, thats kinda where I'm now, I also refuse to get a 21 fret guitar. Those Novos are nice but the models I like have 21 frets, so that's why I'm curious about why choosing to have 21 frets, is there something more to it?
I'm sure they're great but that kind of money for a beat up, 21 fret, bolt-on is a super hard no for me.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom