Is there benifits in rewiring a cab with heavier gauge wire?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by stuffedshirt, Jan 26, 2008.

1. stuffedshirt

stuffedshirt Member

Or should I leave in the stock vermicelli?

2. john b

john b Supporting Member

I changed out the stock wire in a 1x12 JDesigns cab with some good quality Audioquest speaker wire. The difference was not subtle. As much as people will argue about it, wire does make a difference, even if it's only a small run in one place.

3. stuffedshirt

stuffedshirt Member

This is what I was thinking. It's in my brain that Bogner uses like 10 gauge wire for their cabs??? That's insane... BUT I was thinking maybe 14 gauge.

Did you solder them to the speakers?

4. Hydesg

Hydesg Member

would soldering a belden 10gauage wire help?

5. FFTT

FFTT Member

The more oxygen free copper the better, so 14-10 AWG is great!

6. stuffedshirt

stuffedshirt Member

In my cab they used a parallel/series wiring with single wires connecting 2 speakers in parrallel, along with a single crossover wire to do the series connection; probably to save money of course.

I'd at least like to do it where each speaker gets its own wire so there's no bottleneck. Get it?

7. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

It all depends on the amp. Some are going to say bigger equals better, some will say hi end audio type stuff etc... The facts are tube amp put out a lot of harmonic distortion and some amps are bright in a bad way, if your amp exibits these characteristics you will only make things worse. The truth of the matter is much like tubes, there is no clear cut best answer to all situations.

8. stuffedshirt

stuffedshirt Member

:messedup

I run 25' speaker cables from my rack that are prolly 14 gauge. Do you think this has a capacitance effect? I'm more short on highend than I am on the lowend.

9. stuffedshirt

stuffedshirt Member

10. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I guess Ken Fisher doesn't know what he's talking aout either, when he suggested using regular light cord for cabinets because it gives you the most chime (taken from Gerald Weber's book).

11. mkolesa@mac.com

mkolesa@mac.com Member

i haven't done a/b tests, but coming from a high-end stereo background i firmly believe you're better off using lower gauge (thicker) speaker wire and keeping it as short as possible. if you think about it, the ideal situation would be to attach the speaker directly to the output taps on the tranny but this isn't possible, so what's the next best thing? after all, what the amp is trying to do is move the speaker cone back-and-forth, and that's only possible if there's a 'solid' connection. by analogy, it's like your car's engine driving the wheels; if the transmission slips you're going to be losing power. likewise, if the amp can't easily drive the speaker you'll be losing something (tone, response, etc.). and yes, different capacitance in the wiring will have an effect since it will also be 'seen' by the amp, whether it's a positive one or not will depend on your tastes...

12. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Shorter speaker cables sound better, or at least truer - as you point out, less capacitance. Make sure you don't leave the extra length coiled up - electricity in a coil induces magnetic fields, not good for accurate transmission.

Seriously, 25'? Why, that seems real long to me. Are you ever actually in situations where you put the cab 25 feet away from the amp?

As Harryjmic correctly states, you gotta try different speaker cables out - different gauges, different lengths, different materials. There is no one correct answer. That said, 25 feet seems excessively long to me.

On the Ken Fisher speaker wire quote, my old friend Bob has a 5' speaker cord he's been using for decades, made out of 14 gauge lampcord. It beat out a number of high end cables in a 'scientific comparison study' we did several years ago. Looks cheap, sounds great.

Good Luck, Dana O

13. stuffedshirt

stuffedshirt Member

Thanks for all replies!

Well, when I was buying some gear, the salesman offered to throw in some freebies and asked me what I wanted. I asked him for a 50 foot speaker cable; and he asked if I was serious. :D I said yeah. I took it home and hacked in half to make 2-25 footers.

It's actually real nice as it keeps your options open. Even here in the house, I can put the rack out of the way and then put my cabs wherever.

14. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

I use 50 footers sometimes to put my cab backstage.. Once everything is miced the benifits of having the cab quiet outweigh the cons.. cant say ive noticed a difference

15. SittinIdol

SittinIdol Member

I use a long speaker cable when recording to have the head in the control room and amp in the live room, about 30' I think. Doesn't seem to affect the tone to me?

16. bosstone

bosstone Member

Most of not all of the capacitance effect is nullified if you simply twist the wires around one another.

17. stuffedshirt

stuffedshirt Member

There's quite a debate aboout solid versus stranded wire. The stock stuff in my cab IS solid core. What do you think?

18. bosstone

bosstone Member

Never use solid core wire in anything what is subject to a lot of vibration. It can work harden, crack, open the circuit and take out your output transformer.

19. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Probably a possibility, but I did read an interview with Steve Kimock and he said he uses solid core for his guitar to amp cable.

20. bosstone

bosstone Member

There are some ultra pure copper cables available. You have to make sure this is what you are using because 99.9%+ of solid core copper cable isn't nearly as pure and is very susceptible to work hardening and breaking. Still, I don't feel there is any advantage to using it for connecting guitar amps to their speakers.