• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Is there dangerous current running through the pots on Princeton?

kingdavidy2k

I've got an amp built (by someone else) using Weber 6A14 HP kit.

Some of the pots are very loose feeling and in wanting to change them. And wanting to change the mid pot to 25k instead of 10k. Are there any dangerous currents going through this section of the amp? I won't touch any other parts than the pots and wires that connects to them.

Thanks,
David

zenas

I don't like to mess around inside an amp until I drain the capacitors. The shock probably won't kill you but things get knocked around when you get a shock.
Smashing my toe or something worse like a few tubes isn't worth the risk.

If you can't drain the caps you need to learn how or leave it to someone else IMHO.

xtian

Gold Supporting Member
+1. Don't touch anything until your amp is unplugged and safely discharged.

In theory, the coupling caps that precede the tone pots should block all DC voltage from the pots.

swiveltung

If you leave the switch on (does it have standby on that kit or just power?) and unplug it that usually drains the caps on a PR. But you should learn how to drain the caps.

Kyle B

Silver Supporting Member
Not every amp will self discharge caps regardless what you do with the standby switch. Never assume! Learn how to properly measure voltage on the caps or leave repairs to a pro.

kingdavidy2k

Yeah thanks guys, I think I'll just bring my amp to a tech and pay him his hour rate to hands on teach me on amp safety. I think he's willing to do that so I'll learn hands on how to do safely discharge the amp.

Trending Topics