Is there room for a mediocre guitarist in Nashville?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by MLaVache, May 21, 2019.

1. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

This is about the best summary I could possibly imagine. Not pessimistic, not a pipe dream, just realistic and a can-be-a-great-thing attitude. Good one.

sandcastle likes this.
  2. Vintage_

Vintage_ Member

Waylon and Johnny Cash did ok...:eek: :hide

3. EarleG

EarleG ® Silver Supporting Member

Well, it is actually more like 135,200 now.

4. Bankston

Bankston Supporting Member

I grew up with a guy who was the best guitarist in our age group in our hometown. He was a prodigy, who could play any genre with ease as a teenager, including jazz, country, classical, metal, you name it.

He was the lead guitarist for a certain country singer when the singer got signed to a Nashville deal and became a big star in the 90's, but my buddy got replaced after that.

Now he's playing acoustic guitar for another star singer from the 90's. Which I'm sure is a good gig, but it's well below his talent level as a guitarist.

Seems like there's a helluva pecking order in Music City and I'm sure there's countless similar stories.

TommyGuitar and sandcastle like this.
  5. PosterBoy

PosterBoy Member

Jerry and Bob Maximus like this.
  6. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I've thought about this a little bit...and I'll say this. One thing I noticed about the guitarists in Nashville is they never play solos note for note, except maybe folsom and working man blues. My guess is they have so many songs to learn and play on, they don't have time to do that. Their solos are always tasteful, but I play em note for note probably 80% of the time. If I wanted to "stand out" in a town that filled with musicians....maybe start there.
    Also, as the number of bands has gone up there...the talent is not nearly as consistent. Three weeks ago driving down broad you are immersed in music from as many as 10+ bands at once spilling into the street. We heard plenty of bands that were not nearly as good as us with prime time gigs. At night...the talent goes up a notch too. But, I think there is plenty of room for an average guitarist looking to have some fun and play out. Just don't expect to make any money doing it.

buddaman71 likes this.
  7. MatchFive

MatchFive Silver Supporting Member

lol

There is only room for top notch virtuoso guitarists there..

55goldtop likes this.
  8. mobius

mobius Member

You can always get a job as an attendant at the first petrol station people meet coming to Nashville. Or so the saying goes or something...

:dude

9. Scooter

Scooter Supporting Member

Okay, now I *really* wanna move there.

10. sandcastle

sandcastle Member

Networking is the king wherever you go. Get out and be active and assertive, you will find friends. Heck, maybe start you own thing? I answered a Meetup and now have been jamming with some folks for months every two weeks on Sundays.

11. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

Give it a shot, and try not to follow this guy at an audition ;):

Drak, Hacksaw, buddaman71 and 3 others like this.
  12. MatchFive

Holy Crap

buddaman71 likes this.
  13. MatchFive

You might not want to follow this guy either..

Tonekat, buddaman71 and 55goldtop like this.
  14. Goldie Glocks

Goldie Glocks Member

In my experience Nashville is over saturated with singer/songwriters, cover bands and guitar slingers. EVERY bar on Broadway has a cover band playing on Friday and Saturday night. I've seen some dreadful bands there and I've seen some excellent bands there and everything in between. If you are a decent player, you can find gigs - paying or not. Idk what kind of music you are into but the indie scene is actually really good there and here in K-town too for that matter. Country is of course the main palette in Nashville though so bring your Tele.

15. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I think these men would find a route to success that didn't involve much Nashville whatsoever, if they were coming along now.

16. Vintage_

Vintage_ Member

Definitely possible. But it was meant to highlight that they weren't exactly blazing pickers.

sizzlemeister likes this.
  17. Chadley

Chadley Supporting Member

I tried to watch that but turned it off because he wasn’t using barrel saddles.

18. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

55goldtop likes this.
  19. tnvol

tnvol Ufologist Silver Supporting Member

I think it's about being in the right place at the right time. Of course being able to play your ass off matters but luck has a lot to do with it. You can't throw a rock without hitting 250 badass players in Nashville.

EarleG and 55goldtop like this.
  20. KevWind

KevWind Member

Been about 10 or more years but I spent a month in Nashville attending the Tin Pan South songwriters festival, and recording some demos .
    So as to your question , Yes especially for playing solo in that there was and I assume still is quite a few open mic's. Which all you have to do is show up and sign up
    Which can be a venue to meet other musicians, as well and possibly play with