Is there room for a mediocre guitarist in Nashville?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by MLaVache, May 21, 2019.

1. tonydetiger

tonydetiger Member

I’m just waiting for all those Broadway bands to synchronize and play “Wagon Wheel” at the same time.

BadAssBill and MLaVache like this.
  2. Scafeets

Scafeets Silver Supporting Member

It's not just that there are a bazillion good guitar players in the area, and many will work for free. There's also a social pecking order among the top players, based on who goes to what church, who's hooked up with what publisher/studio/agent, etc. , who knows the numbers system, who can reciprocate, etc. I've done studio work in NYC and it didn't matter who you were or what your social graces are: If you were good enough, you got the gig. In Nashville, you can play like Eric Clapton, Eric Johnson and Brent Mason rolled into one and not get work if you're not accepted.
    I lived there for six years and ended up being Entwhistle in a Who tribute band because I couldn't even find a weekend warrior band to play guitar in. That said, there are some decent amateur jams in the suburbs and opportunities to make song demos with any number of aspiring songwriters.

3. 27sauce

27sauce Member

I'm so puzzled by this, coupled with the fact that Nashville acts will still hire outside of the scene. In my band alone, we have 3 guys that tour regularly in well known, Nashville based acts. Hell, I'm playing a one off in Nashville in a couple of weeks with a nashville based act and he's coming down here to rehearse for it. My fee, flight, hotel...why not just get one of the thousand guitar players in his backyard?

I can think of a quite few other Texas guitar players that are part of Nashville acts, yet still living in TX. We/they aren't cheap, either.

4. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Nashville is like every Big City in the US - the competition is fierce for everything - jobs, housing, etc... It doesn't matter that some gunslinger can play everything under the sun - people like new things after hearing the same ol same ol' for a couple of years. And just like everywhere else - people have poor social skills - so guys who may not be as good but are socially superior get the gigs.

JiveJust likes this.
  5. Scafeets

Scafeets Silver Supporting Member

Same here. Plenty of work for guys on the road. But if you move to Nashville, you're in a professional mosh pit. If you're a part time player in Nashville, it's twice as hard. And I've lived and worked in NYC, Boston, Ft. Lauderdale and Nashville.

27sauce likes this.