Is there some sort of a hidden Dumble-Trainwreck rivalry?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by markom89, Feb 8, 2008.

1. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I don't mean to start shyte, but I've noticed that there's really only two types of people in this world- those who like Dumbles, and those who like Trainwrecks. :messedup

It seems that there's a group of folks that stand behind each amp, and WON'T use the other one. It seems to be hidden, though. This is in regards to both real Dumbles & 'wrecks and the "clone" amps.

It seems to go futher than that, IMO. You've got (what appear to be, IMO) rivalry between the "D" and "TW" style builders, and while it's not direct, it's there. Look at Komet vs. Two Rock., Dr.Z vs. Carol Ann, etc.
    When I say rivalry, I don't mean between the actual builders, but rather between the folks who chose to buy/use the amps.

Does anyone else see this? If so, why do you think it's like this? I've always wondered about this. Did Howard and Kenny ever exchange ideas, did they ever talk, did they ever do anything together related to amp designing/building?

Once again, I'm not trying to start the mother of all ****-storms, but I'm genuinely curious as to why it's like this...

Cheers,

Marko M.

P.S. I've personally played a few real 'wrecks and LOVED them. I've also had the chance to play a real Dumble, twice, but it just didn't work out. In the next few months, I'm gonna' play a real Dumble, though, so I'm anxious to see what my thoughts will be then. That said, I dig both styles of "clone" amps.

2. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I love both.
    Own a Fuchs TDS 100
    and am building a TW with parts from all over the cont. US. (i.e. not Asia)
    I love the in your faceness of the TW sound, but love the cleans and smooth tones from my Fuchs

3. hawklet06

hawklet06 Member

I would assume that there is no rivalry. I just think it's a difference in taste. I won't play a 'Wreck, not because I think it's a bad amp, but rather because I don't like their sound. I simply prefer the Dumble. Just like I don't play Les Pauls not because I think they are bad guitars (because the aren't), but rather because I simply prefer Strats.

4. danel59

danel59 Member

I have a Fuchs ODS30SLX so it is more in the Dumble camp but I have tried their Blackjack 21 and I can see one of those or something similar in my future as I love that sound and feel as well. I have a use for both styles(as well as AC30, Fender etc) I just chose to go the D' route first. So yes there are some people that for personal preferences and styles go to one camp and stay there but I would say there are a lot of us that would love to go "both" ways for this choice

Dan

5. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Fender VS. Marshall, although I don't think they argued on an internet board!!

6. steve10358

steve10358 Supporting Member

the internet sure starts some funny things.

S.

7. scottlaned

scottlaned Member

I don't like Dumbles or Trainwrecks.

Count me as the third type.

8. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

I really don't see a us vs them concerning Dumble and Trainwreck players.
    I have a D based and a TW based amp.
    Can't afford the originals.lol

9. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

The only rivalry has been created by the fans of the individual cloners of the two amps for the most part.
    I'm certain that Alex and Ken never had an issue with one another.

10. pinner

pinner Silver Supporting Member

I wouldn't say rivalry, just preference. For my style I personally gravitate toward dumble type amps. However I love all types of tone. If I could afford it, I would have a great example of all types including trainwreck. I can barely afford what I have now. So to help please send your donation to paypal account pi.......... :) If there is a rivalry, its probably on getting a clone closest to the real thing.

11. plexi67

plexi67 Member

Ken helped many people with amps,and passed on some of his ideas to some of the builders you listed. As for Dumble..i have no idea.he seems more a recluse. Both used ideas they got from other amps,which is not uncommon for any amp builder. But they also had some nice ideas or twists of their own.

12. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

They were designed for different purposes, and have very different sonic footprints.

Not better, not worse... just different.

I have room for both "styles" of amp, in my feeble musical brain.

13. kendog

kendog Supporting Member

99.9 % of the guitar population has not spent much time with either let alone both to really know what they are about. All in all, a non master vol. Rock purist player is going to favor the Wreck and a Blues/Fusion guy is going to favor the Dumble. I have been fortunate enough to have spent hundreds of hours playing and listening to both and I have to say that they are both beyond amazing. Obviously, there are many variations and diff. degrees within each camp but you already knew that. Marko, you need to play a great one of each in the same room and I believe we can arrange that for you my friend. Have a great weekend all.

14. hogy

hogy Member

Ken had great respect for Dumble. Not to start anything here, but Kenny had this esoteric idea that a really great builder imparts some of his personality onto an amp he builds. Just kindly walk away if you disagree, don't ask me for "scientific proof" or call it BS.

Anyway, He told me "if you gave both Dumble and me identical parts for a simple Fender Champ circuit, my amp would come out sounding like a Trainwreck, and his would sound like a Dumble". That's a pretty big compliment IMO.

15. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Supporting Member

A Porsche, a Ferrari or a Dodge Viper are all great performance cars, just two different beasts. I agree with Kendog: It's what you as a player seek.

16. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I liken it to the "rivalry" between single coil guys and humbucker guys. They're different, they're both great, and there's plenty of room for both in my world.

Truly, Trainwrecks and Dumbles are very different beasts, built differently to excel at different things. Like point guards and power forwards - one's not better than the other, they're just built different (GRIN).

Dana O.

17. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

Great story, thanks.

Yeah, I have played both, love both.
    Dumble fits my style, Dumble-inspired fits my budget.

18. parker

parker Member

Man, I couldn't agree more! Personality seems to be the "X" factor here. The mysterious sweetness that they impart into each amp, fur can fly amongst which cloner "nails" it, but the originals are just that, Originals. Be it Alexander or Ken.

19. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Yes.

I think it's more of a clone rivalry myself.

20. bosstone

bosstone Member

I much prefer a good Marshall to either.