Is there something wrong with my Diamond Compressor?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bpstacey, Feb 13, 2012.

1. bpstacey

bpstacey Member

When I see people's boards with a Diamond Comp the volume is usually set between 9 and 12 o'clock. I have to keep mine at almost 1 just for unity with the compression around 10. Is that normal? Not as satisfied as I thought I would be.

2. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

don't forget to run it at a higher voltage for higher headroom too, i used to use mine at 12V since the pedalpower let you switch to that. dunno if it meant louder vol to do that, but there you go.

3. willyboy

willyboy Member

does it really matter where the knobs are set? more importantly do you like the sound?
    Mine is from the first run with a different value pot, but I run my volume at noon for a slight boost and compression at 9 o clock and it sounds great - subtle but very musical.

4. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

Mine is at unity around 9:00. I've never run the Diamond volume above 12:00.

5. cajone5

cajone5 Some guy Silver Supporting Member

Unity volume depends on your pickup output. Are you running humbuckers, especially high output ones?

6. evanjackson

evanjackson Supporting Member

Also depends on how you run your amp... A clean amp will require less boost than a dirty one for an equivalant jump in volume.

7. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Depends on your pickups, where your compressor level list set. As I adjust the comp knob I have to adjust the volume to get back to unity. If I have the comp knob low, I have to turn up the volume.

8. Swjake83

Swjake83 Member

I had one that must have had a bad comp pot. It crackled as I adjusted it and I could not get even close to unity no matter what I did. I called Amish at diamond and he sent me a new one. I use humbuckers and here is what I found; at low comp settings the volume is barely below unity. As I turn the comp knob up te volume increases. So my settings now are around 10 or 11 on comp, and around 1 on volume.

It seems as though the comp knob acts as an input gain adjustment and comp setting, and the volume is what it says plus sustain. For me the comp knob adjusted "output" more than the volume. I love the new one since it works as it should.