Is there something wrong with the frets (fretboard) in this picture?

guitarist58

See those marks on either side of the (closest visible) fret that run along it? I'm wondering what would cause this... Has it maybe been re-fretted? Shoddy work? Just curious! (It's a Gibson 335)

Thanks for any input :)

Photo:

Ron Thorn

Platinum Supporting Member
Are you talking about the scratches in the actual fretboard and binding that run parallel to the fret? If so, then I would say those are file marks when the Gibson worker cleaned up the nibs/binding at the end of the frets. Fairly typical.

Kappy

But at least they do it fast, and charge a lot (GRIN).

Dana O.
Yeah, that's the funny thing about people marketing the Plek that the VOS guitars get. It's not like you've got some great luthier using the Plek to get the greatest set up imaginable. It's about cutting down the time the techs have to spend on the guitars when they're ready for final set up. So their Pleking is a minor improvement at best.

David Collins

The fret board marks are what they are, and don't bother me much - it's as good or better than what Gibson has done over the last 90 years or more (and I would be tarred and feathered If I cleaned up the original markings on a 59 burst fretboard, so they must be a good thing).

What bothers me more is the sloppy sloped off top of the fret on the treble side (can't see the bass very well). Looks like it's just asking for the high e to be slipping off if you grab a chord slightly wrong.

OlAndrew

^ Yeah, there's that, but at least with those neat little nubbins on the binding, you won't get the string caught under the fret.

guitarist58

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I had been drooling over this particular guitar until I saw this close-up... Now it's looking more like just a POS to me :rotflmao

Y'all just helped save me a lot of money! :D
(couldn't really afford it anyway)

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
Thanks for the replies, everyone! I had been drooling over this particular guitar until I saw this close-up... Now it's looking more like just a POS to me :rotflmao

Y'all just helped save me a lot of money! :D
(couldn't really afford it anyway)
hey now, it's still a gibson and it's still a great guitar.

a good pro set-up and it'll play just fine, production-line fretwork and all.

guitarist58

hey now, it's still a gibson and it's still a great guitar.

a good pro set-up and it'll play just fine, production-line fretwork and all.
Yeah, I would really like to have it... warts and all. I've never had a 335--always wanted one since I was a senior in High School playing in Stage Band and tried to get my folks to buy a sort of Cocoa brownish color 335 at a local music store. It was too much money, though. $650! :cry:

curtis

Give me a real 335 with the fingerboard scratches over pretty much most other hollow bodied guitars anyday - after i've ragged the hell out of it for a few years the fingerboard scratches are going to be the least of its worries!

its fixable anyway, not a reason not to buy it to me :)

Eagle1

Give me a real 335 with the fingerboard scratches over pretty much most other hollow bodied guitars anyday - after i've ragged the hell out of it for a few years the fingerboard scratches are going to be the least of its worries!

its fixable anyway, not a reason not to buy it to me :)
Yes made out of real plywood :rotflmao

Soapbarstrat

And funny how those "plywood" topped Gibsons often sound better than solid wood topped hollow/semi hollow bodies.

Trending Topics