Is there such a band...(Metal content)

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Ladhilbluesband, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Ladhilbluesband

Ladhilbluesband Member

So I've been getting more into heavier music, dare I say metal and I'm finding there's a serious lacking for talented bands At least for what I'm looking for.

Are there hard rock/metal bands that sing and not scream/yell? Bands that actually use classic metalcore riffs and melodic riffs as the rhythm instead of powerchords?

Bands I've always loved but lack good vocals and lyrics.

Funeral For a Friend - The whole "Hours" Album is great.
    Thrice's - Illusion of Safety
    Coheed and Cambria

Are there any other solid bands out there similar to these bands or that at least use interesting chord work? Sadly I can't even think of the term where you use single note alternate picking as the lead rhythm while chords are more in the backgorund....

for example.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVZlVJeYY2g

2. ImmortalSix

ImmortalSix Member

Wow man, you just listed the soundtrack of my college years. Like, dead-on.

If you like that stuff, you might like:

Atreyu - The Curse
    Bullet for My Valentine - The Poison
    Four Year Strong - Enemy of The World
    Saosin - Saosin

All of those are links to those albums where you can preview every song.

Atreyu and Bullet for My Valentine have screaming. They still kick ass.

You will love Saosin. Saosin uses the least conventional guitar work of the bunch. And their drummer is out of this world.

Four Year Strong is like a metal band that doesn't know they're a metal band - and they accidentally play punk. But it's huge sounding, with ridiculous right-hand technique on the guitar playing.

3. ImmortalSix

ImmortalSix Member

Devils of Belgrade is a band with awesome guitar work, and NO vocals.

Read this, and listen.

4. guzman

guzman Member

try the album "the bright side" by the australian band Break even. Protest the hero might be another great choice.

5. Ladhilbluesband

Ladhilbluesband Member

Well Devils of Belgrade are freaking awesome, that's the stuff I'm looking for and as a guitar player who normally plays jazz/blues/alternative I need something a little more complex to attempt to conquer and that band has it going on.

I LOVE Saosin and all bullet for my valentine, I used to like Atreyu but I have not been into them as much. Four year strong has some really sweet tracks too, a tish too punky for me but very good stuff.

Keep em coming guys. Don't be afraid to go the route of like The Darkest Hour even...they have some sweet guitar work too.

6. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

I think Avenged Sevenfold, Dark New Day, Soil & Virgos Merlot/Virgos (IF you can find them) would be to your liking.

Tony

7. somedude

somedude Member

Might also be worth checking out Isis and Pelican. Not metalcore by any means, but if you like metal without the screaming...

8. Phalanx200bc

Phalanx200bc Member

Not fully your criteria but check it out...................

9. Broken Cord

Broken Cord Member

Yes! Metal w/o sreamo or cookie monster type noise is all good.

10. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

3 Inches of Blood, thier singer's more the traditional Halford type.

http://www.youtube.com/v/JO7TZGgBbOw&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JO7TZGgBbOw&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Now, I listen to a lot of newer sludge/stoner type bands. I don't think the vocals they do are screaming, but they're still pretty rough.

http://www.youtube.com/v/3Nyid2mSKd0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3Nyid2mSKd0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

http://www.youtube.com/v/rZDXxkouWMg&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rZDXxkouWMg&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

http://www.youtube.com/v/tSCnKAvA30o&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tSCnKAvA30o&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

The Melvins have been around since the 80s. Extremely influential and extremely unknown.

11. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Silver Supporting Member

Nevermore - once in a blue moon you may get a scream or two, but the singer is more in line with a Geoff Tate ish...Bruce Dickinson type of singing. Personally, I think their guitar player, Jeff Loomis, is the best in the metal scene today. He released an instrumental guitar album last year and it's really, really good if you're into that type of stuff.

Nevermore's latest CD, The Obsidian Conspiracy, just dropped a few weeks ago.

12. GarMan

GarMan Supporting Member

Get into the Melvins man.

Cynic.

13. solphilcox

solphilcox Senior Member

sky eats airplane. yes, there is screamo but also GREAT singing and superb musicianship.
    saosin/circa survive (not metal but great if you like thrice etc)
    periphery just for total awesomeness
    ice nine kills for great 'over the top' melodic poppy hair rock mixed with technical metalcore
    Deaf Havana - like alexisonfire but better

you might also like bruce dickonson's son Austin's band - Rise to Remain. he sounds (and looks) almost exactly like his dad, and the music is very maiden influenced but has a modern metalcore twist and is done extremely well. some shredtastic solos as well as heavy riffs.

14. pmcqueen

pmcqueen Member

dang, wish I was in touch with my old roommate... I never have been a fan of metal, mainly for the reasons in your op, and as such never really searched for the gems, but he had some freaking awesome stuff on his ipod.

he's the reason I started listening to porcupine tree... which you should check out if you haven't heard them, even though I don't think they quite fit in here.

15. ImmortalSix

ImmortalSix Member

x2

big x2, and I had never heard of Deaf Havana before, so thank you! And your description was dead on, Sol :rotflmao

16. James_E

James_E Supporting Member

Opeth. Yeah lots of cookie monster vocals (but for some reason these ones don't bother me as much as a lot of others do) but tons of clean singing mixed in too. Songwriting and musicianship is fantastic.

Get the album "Blackwater Park". Listen to it in it's entirety at least 3 times (to allow you to get past the cookie monster vocals) and let me know what you think.

17. isfahani

isfahani Member

I'd like to hear about some metal that's a little loose sounding and not all pro-tools perfect... maybe some middle eastern sounding melodies... and some loose and more (I hate to call it this) tribal or world music informed rhythms instead of the typical kick and snare stuff. The nearest I could give as a vague example -heading in this direction - would be something like "Ratamahatta" off of Sepultura's Roots CD, except with actual singing?

I dunno, just wondering.

18. Ladhilbluesband

Ladhilbluesband Member

Holy crap Opeth's "Blackwater Park" album was great. Instead of saying a talented metal band was "tolerable", the word enjoyable crept into my head. Their other stuff is really good too, although damnation isn't really metal at all but really really good.

More stuff like this please. Thanks everyone for the suggestions, keep em coming!

19. rwe333

rwe333 Member

Black Sabbath's Dehumanizer - their heaviest record. Raw, in yer face, Dio's awesome.

20. rwe333

rwe333 Member

Going back a few years, check out Black Sabbath's Dehumanizer - their heaviest record. Raw, in yer face, Dio's awesome.