Is there such a thing as a blank input jack cover plate? (Modded Strat)

Fitzer

Silver Supporting Member
I rewired my strat to have just a master volume and master tone, and moved the input jack to the third pickguard hole.

Is there a blank plate available to cover the original input jack spot? I have the old plate installed on it but would like to just cover it up with a blank chrome plate.

I’ve looked and can’t find anything online. Can’t be the first person ever to want one of these. Any idea where one can be found?

RRfireblade

There was a USA strat back in the day, that had the input jack in the pick guard. Drove me nuts, I couldn't imagine doing that on purpose. But no, I've never seen a blank plate to cover that up.

Fitzer

Silver Supporting Member
Why would you want a clunky cable sticking straight out of your pickguard, when stock, it comes out at the right angle and hangs out of the way?
1. Right angle plug negates any clunkiness
2. Didn’t want a dummy knob in pickguard where 2nd tone control was
3. Didn’t want an empty hole in pickguard where 2nd tone control was
4. Didn’t want to buy a custom pickguard because the original one is worn and matches the wear of the guitar
5. Didn’t want to buy a custom pickguard because they’re generally very overpriced and fitment is hit or miss
6. It’s different and makes the purists squirm

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
i just made one out of a piece of aluminum that I cut and put a phono jack on it for one of my project guitars....works fine, not super visible, so it's ok, and it works fine!

boppy

I like what you're trying to do.
I haven't seen a pickguard that would sort it out though. You would likely have to go the DIY or custom-made ($$$) route.

Quick and dirty would be to remove the jackplate, fill chasm, apply snazzy-looking sticker...

Capstan Philips

Silver Supporting Member
It's as though you've dug a hole, then dug another twice as deep in order to have something to shovel into the first one.

But in fairness you've stated that one of your objectives was to be different, so fair play.

How about using the jack plate to stencil the shape onto a thin wood veneer, cut that with a hacksaw, smooth the edges, perhaps paint it, drill two screw holes for fitting and attach?

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
The jack hole is one thing (and count your lucky stars that no one is calling you on calling it an "input jack". Yet.) But a tele switch tip on a Strat? What the hell, man? I go so far as to use Strat switch tips on Teles sometimes.

I'd try a sticker over the hole you want to cover, might not last but it would be an easy thing for a first try. Next I might try a trophy shop and see if they have or can make a plaque that would work.

83stratman

Silver Supporting Member
Maybe talk to these guys. Maybe they can make one without the hole.

Tony Done

I'm wondering why you did that. My solution for the three-hole, two knob problem was to install a switch that engaged the neck pickup, so I can have b+n or all three in addition to the usual combinations.

Trending Topics