• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Is there such a thing as a Boss OD-1 clone?

Frosted Glass

Thunder Tomate used to make the Taxi Driver which was an OD-1 clone, but I've not heard of any other. A tubescreamer with asymmetric clipping should get you there.

televox

Gold Supporting Member
I'm pretty sure the Boss super overdrive is the same pedal but with a tone control.

ZeroChan

I totally disagree with the 2 posts above me. I had those 3 pedals and they all sound different. The OD-1 has a similar EQ to a tubescreamer, actually. Bass cut and slight midboost.

jazzfromhell

ZeroChan said:
I totally disagree with the 2 posts above me. I had those 3 pedals and they all sound different. The OD-1 has a similar EQ to a tubescreamer, actually. Bass cut and slight midboost.
But thats exactly what the SD1 is. Boss' take on the TubeScreamer.

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
But thats exactly what the SD1 is. Boss' take on the TubeScreamer.
Considering that the clipping schemes are completely the opposite, I'm not sure how you can say that. What do you base this opinion of yours on?

jpagey

Thunder Tomate used to make the Taxi Driver which was an OD-1 clone, but I've not heard of any other. A tubescreamer with asymmetric clipping should get you there.
I have one. I don’t know if it’s a clone or not. It does have three clipping diodes and a quad op amp. I will tell you that it sounds fantastic

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
TT's is a clone of the long chip OD1 (early-version).

A Tubescreamer is an OD1 with symmetric clipping. The TS has symmetric clipping to get around the Boss patent.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom