Is there such a thing as a higher gain amp for a strat?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Topas, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Topas

Topas Member

Long story short: Since I changed bands, I have to play higher gain rhythm stuff (not metal, but think Ozzy/Aerosmith-hard rock). I have been quite happy with my Lentz strat, Bad cat Black cat amp and TS type pedals, but no way I can obtain that thick, creamy overdrive with this combination. What bugs me the most is that it can be achieved with a noname $100 strat plugged into a small solid state Peavey amp our drummer had lying around, while me and my high-end-boutique-trillion-dollars-worth gear can go get stuffed.:mad:
    So anyway, is there an (preferably dual channel) amp that works well with higher gain and single coils, while retaining the cleans I love my amp for? All suggestions welcome.

2. relix63

relix63 Supporting Member

You may want to look into a Mesa F30 or F50. Both have very nice clean tones and can get close to Recto territory if need be. Your mileage may vary.

Don

3. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

4. ed84246

ed84246 Member

Bogner Shiva is great. But there's a big difference between Aerosmith and Ozzy Levels of gain. The Shiva won't quite go into Ozzy metal territory.

5. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

Mesa Mark IV mine has 6V6 tubes which sweetens up the tone

Marshall DSL401 my favorite amp, love the tone of a tubed Marshall.

6. bosstone

bosstone Member

Any booster pedal, or you volume 1, preamp, or gain knob on the amp.

7. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Drop a humbucker in the bridge of your strat, or a single coil sized humbucker.

Maybe a solid state rectifier.

Or just use the Peavey if it works.

dk

8. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson Supporting Member

2nd the Mesa/Boogie F series recommendation.

9. lennon08

lennon08 Member

My F-50 sounds awesome with the my Tele!

10. bgroup

bgroup Member

I have an F-50, and while it works well with a Strat, I prefer it with humbuckers. For me, the best Strat amp I own that does higher gain stuff is the Orange Rockerverb 50. Hope this helps.

Brent
    bgroupmusic.com

11. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

Demartini, Lynch, Jake E Lee etc.. all playing strats essentially, but using a bucker. Then grab a boost for the leads and case closed. I am having a blast with my JCM800 with a soldano hot mod. Punch in a clean boost for leads as my neck pickup is too chimey. Boom, done.

12. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

You did not say which bad cat you have, some are two channel, gain and clean, the gain channel usually is set with the volume cranked all the way up, and the master volume controlling the overall volume of the amp. If its a single channel, I had Fender Vibralux, and used a Mesa V-Twin pedal, Mesa does not make them any more, but what I find is important is finding a tube distortion pedal that works well, I would get at great range of tones, better than my Mark IV in a lot of ways until I went to the 6V6s now the Mark IV is my best amp, that is not a Marshall.

A fender will overdrive an amp, the problem is the noise, the 2 and 4 positions on the 5 way switch are noise cancelling, they sound like **** IMO played clean, however the amp determines most of the tone when its overdriven, or the distortion pedal. When I play distorted I play the strat in the noise canceling postions, when I play clean I use the neck or bridge usually, and I can control the level of distortion by changing the volume, something that I really like to do is to find a setting on the amp that lets me go from clean to insane by just changing the volume on the guitar, its easier with humbuckers, but you can do it on a strat as well.

As far as tube screamers, I never really cared for them, they are usually solid state, and I can hear solid state. My Mesa V-Twin really let me get an range of tones from bypass to rectifier.

I have an HSS strat as well, and having a Humbucker is nice, but not required to overdrive an amp.

13. mojoslide

mojoslide Member

I like my Budda with Strats - great thick tone - and with a pedal you can easily do metal too.

14. xroads

xroads Member

+1. For fat singing sounds from single coils, use a Fuzz. Alternatively, get a boost in order to overdrive the input stage of your amp.

15. Topas

Topas Member

Wow, thanks all for the responses, TGP really is an awesome place.
    As for the overdrive, it's not like it can't be done with my current setup, but is quite jaggy and brittle, even with pedals (and I tried many). I tested the Orange Rockerverb 50H today - it's much better than the Black cat on overdrive and even the clean tones are pretty good - really universal amp. I am going to try out the Mesas too, although thery are usually not my cup of meat, and later this month I plan to make a trip to Germany to try out the highend amps like Soldano, Diezel or Bogner.
    So thanks all for suggestions, you guys rock :)

16. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

How about a Lonestar Classic, and an Audio MI Crunch Box. That will get you where you wanna go.