Is there such a thing as a light weight 4X10 cab?

Rena Rune

How much weight are you talking about? The sheer size of a 4x10 would make it awkward regardless of the weighht.

I wouldn't mind a lightweight 2x10 though. That'd be baller.

peterdjp

Well... get one that's made from pine with alnico speakers. Pine is a lot lighter than plywood and alnicos have much smaller, lighter magnets.

vdoochild7

I used to have a bogner open back 410 that was very light. It sounded GREAT. Best open back cab I've ever used.

hangten

Gold Supporting Member
I've got one (I think from MOJO) that is light w/4 celestions.
pine.
sounds great.

jzero

Interesting topic. I wonder if you could use the 1/2" board just for the baffle, then use a 2x2 frame but just have 1/8 or 1/4" ply for the rest of the cabinet... Maybe differnt speaker configurations would be lighter: 1x12 and 3x8, Or 2x10 and 2x8...

Zim

Silver Supporting Member
I had a Carvin one a bit ago, super light and sounded GREAT!

Sean

Silver Supporting Member
Regardless of the cabinet maker/style you choose, I think the total weight is very dependent on the speakers you load it with. I have an open back 4x10 that I had ceramic Eminence speakers in (heavy!) and swapped them out for alnicos- the cabinet is now a very light one hand carry.

dewman

The dr z 4x10 is killer. Also any 4x10 filled with jensen neos will be feather light by comparison

pine

Gold Supporting Member
I made one by copying the dimensions of a Super Reverb cab, putting 4 Kendrick Blackframe speakers in it, but the real secret of it being so light is that I made it from real old pine boards I found in a salvage place. The wood was so old it was feather light

Trending Topics