Is there such a thing as Kemper coaching?

reactr04

Let's just get it out of the way: I'm an utter simpleton who has entered the world of Kemper. I like it but despite all the YT videos I've watched, I'm still having a hard time programming it.

I'm a voice actor and in our field there are tech coaches you can pay for remote sessions. They share your screen and help you to set up your signal flow for at-home recording or chase down a noise issue. One in particular shared a few key tips that saved me what I can only imagine would have been years of struggle.

I feel like I'm one or two screen-sharing sessions away from being able to get what I want out of this thing. Is there anyone who does remote Kemper coaching??

Reactions: C-4

Madmax25

Let's just get it out of the way: I'm an utter simpleton who has entered the world of Kemper. I like it but despite all the YT videos I've watched, I'm still having a hard time programming it.

I'm a voice actor and in our field there are tech coaches you can pay for remote sessions. They share your screen and help you to set up your signal flow for at-home recording or chase down a noise issue. One in particular shared a few key tips that saved me what I can only imagine would have been years of struggle.

I feel like I'm one or two screen-sharing sessions away from being able to get what I want out of this thing. Is there anyone who does remote Kemper coaching??
I have no idea, but have you tried the 'Kemper Tutorials' YT channel?

RolandKorg

Silver Supporting Member
When I had some issues at the start, I posted screenshots of my various Rig Manager screens on the Private Kemper forum, with specific description of the problem. Seems to have accomplished What you need, although not in real time.

MKB

Silver Supporting Member
Hmmm, my experience with the Kemper in my 6 years of use has been one of not deep diving into it. Every time I open the UI I find something new but not really needed until then; for example late last week I found the unit had a 12dB pad on the output that I needed. The Kemper has not struck me as the kind of device one needs to study the manual to get good results. Very quickly I was able to get tones and effects I was happy with, and just go on playing.

OTOH I basically studied the manual to my old HD500 and HX Stomp, and got very deep into them. And I adore the deep parameters of the Positive Grid Bias, and have studied them in detail. But there are deep parameters in the Kemper I have never touched as I haven't felt the need.

It's weird; I read manuals all the time for my engineering work, and my wife jokes as I am the only male she knows that will read the instructions prior to using any new device or building something. But I just haven't needed to with the Kemper. One thing about the Kemper is its onboard UI makes big sense and makes it easy to find settings (I am not afraid of a unit's UI).

On the PG Bias, there is a for pay user tutorial from Groove3 that is very helpful, but I am not aware of anything like that available for the Kemper.

RolandKorg

Silver Supporting Member
Hmmm, my experience with the Kemper in my 6 years of use has been one of not deep diving into it. Every time I open the UI I find something new but not really needed until then; for example late last week I found the unit had a 12dB pad on the output that I needed. The Kemper has not struck me as the kind of device one needs to study the manual to get good results. Very quickly I was able to get tones and effects I was happy with, and just go on playing.

OTOH I basically studied the manual to my old HD500 and HX Stomp, and got very deep into them. And I adore the deep parameters of the Positive Grid Bias, and have studied them in detail. But there are deep parameters in the Kemper I have never touched as I haven't felt the need.

It's weird; I read manuals all the time for my engineering work, and my wife jokes as I am the only male she knows that will read the instructions prior to using any new device or building something. But I just haven't needed to with the Kemper. One thing about the Kemper is its onboard UI makes big sense and makes it easy to find settings (I am not afraid of a unit's UI).

On the PG Bias, there is a for pay user tutorial from Groove3 that is very helpful, but I am not aware of anything like that available for the Kemper.
That's funny.... Um, where is this PAD? I probably need it, too!
Ooh. I see it, but why would it say MINUS 12db? "Pad -12db." Is that supposed to be a hyphen? Pad is supposed to ADD, no?

RolandKorg

Silver Supporting Member

I'm thinking that maybe you can just keep this thread open, post your specific questions, and maybe we can help you?
As MKB said, it's not really that difficult if you're using Rig Manager. Have you used any other modeler's editor?

I seriously have had the Stage for almost a year, and never touch it except to turn it on/off. The Rig Manager, while not great, still makes it easy to work with the Kemper... once you get your output settings right for your setup. That was the only challenge i had, and it turns out that it was primarily an issue with my interface. If you're going straight out to monitors, it's probably a much simpler setup.

No need to deep dive. If you need something deep, you'll find it or find a resource that discusses it–when you need it. No reason to be intimidated by all the functionality that might be there that you don't need.

Madmax25

Ooh. I see it, but why would it say MINUS 12db? "Pad -12db." Is that supposed to be a hyphen? Pad is supposed to ADD, no?
In my experience a pad has ALWAYS been a subtraction of volume, not an addition. It’s the same on a mixer or a mic: -10db or -20db. Usually to handle a signal that is too hot/loud

RolandKorg

Silver Supporting Member
In my experience a pad has ALWAYS been a subtraction of volume, not an addition. It’s the same on a mixer or a mic: -10db or -20db. Usually to handle a signal that is too hot/loud
Ooof. Yeah, that's weird terminology. I didn't have my Pad activated, because it does look like it's a subtraction, but wouldn't you expect "pad" to mean "boost?" If your boss tells you he's going to pad your salary by 20%, that would be a good thing, right? Oh, well!

vtgearhead

Gold Supporting Member

More pad == more attentuation == lower signal level

MKB

Silver Supporting Member
I didn't really think about the terminology, but it sure did fix the problem! The other guitarist that plays through this input uses a HD500X (they have very low output levels on XLR out), and I literally had to back the Kemper down to one LED on the master. The pad made the Kemper output level usable.

I know the PA tech could have simply lowered the channel input gain, but let's just say with their skill level, it made more sense for me to fix it at the source.

gigsup

Is there anyone who does remote Kemper coaching??

There are people who 'coach' professional teams to zero win seasons, and get paid millions to do it.
So, yeah, I can guarantee professional results.
But mostly I'm intrigued about how a voice actor would apply a Kemper to their demo reel.

BWebb

Ooof. Yeah, that's weird terminology. I didn't have my Pad activated, because it does look like it's a subtraction, but wouldn't you expect "pad" to mean "boost?" If your boss tells you he's going to pad your salary by 20%, that would be a good thing, right? Oh, well!
I believe PAD in this case is an acronym for Passive Attenuation Device.

Alex Kenivel

If they did it would probably be spelled with K's.. Kemper Koaching

RolandKorg

Silver Supporting Member
I believe PAD in this case is an acronym for Passive Attenuation Device.
Whoa. Thank you.
I had a college music production class way back in 1989, and prolly knew that at one time. But not for a lonnnng time.

reactr04

There are people who 'coach' professional teams to zero win seasons, and get paid millions to do it.
So, yeah, I can guarantee professional results.
But mostly I'm intrigued about how a voice actor would apply a Kemper to their demo reel.
Ha, voice acting and sound design. Some music composition. And very little performance, for which I'm certain the world is grateful.

reactr04

I'm thinking that maybe you can just keep this thread open, post your specific questions, and maybe we can help you?
As MKB said, it's not really that difficult if you're using Rig Manager. Have you used any other modeler's editor?

I seriously have had the Stage for almost a year, and never touch it except to turn it on/off. The Rig Manager, while not great, still makes it easy to work with the Kemper... once you get your output settings right for your setup. That was the only challenge i had, and it turns out that it was primarily an issue with my interface. If you're going straight out to monitors, it's probably a much simpler setup.

No need to deep dive. If you need something deep, you'll find it or find a resource that discusses it–when you need it. No reason to be intimidated by all the functionality that might be there that you don't need.
Thanks for being willing....here's a typical experience for me. I plug my Stage into my MBP and pull up Rig Manager, which doesn't see the Kemper. I reboot my computer and turn off the Kemper, plugging and unplugging it for a half-hour until the computer magically sees the Stage. Then I go over to my performances and start tweaking. I spend another half hour trying to find the sounds I want, get it set up just right, save it and then move on to another performance. Later I go back to the first performance, which has reverted to the original version from before I spent an hour messing with the whole thing. I turn it off, frustrated and confused, and go watch TV.

Yes, I have the latest firmware and have updated RM.

Top Bottom