Is there such a thing as too much drive on one board?

poloislegend

I have several drives and i can't decide which ones I want on my board... I definitely want 2 fuzzes, 1 overdrive and 1 boost... Is this uncommon? I dont want to lose too much signal... will this affect my clean signal dramatically? All the pedals are true bypass if that means anything at all...

:jo

help me!!!

BIG PP

Nork

if each pedal gives you something useful and different and you like/can use each sound, etc etc....then why the heck not keep'em! theorectically if they're true bypass you should be good for signal loss - that's not that many pedals really.

CharAznable

Silver Supporting Member
I'm wiring a board right now. I have to choose between OCD, Hermida Distortion and vintage Rat. I also have the dirts from the M9 and the amp.

My goal is to keep it light.. damn.. to many choices!

keto

I'm just a home hack, but I have a real big board full of dirt and more on the way. Lessee, currently 5 fuzzes and 7 OD/dist/comp boxes. I play thru amps that are fairly bright (Vox, Hiwatt) and in addtition favor a bright tone....I don't find I have any loss of top end, which is most typically where *I* hear signal loss. I'm not saying my signal is as good as guitar->amp, but it's sure good enough for me. If any thing gets funky/bad during recording, I can EQ it or put a line booster up front but typically don't have to do either.

In addtion to the dirt, I have MicroPog, old non-tbp phaser, trem, tuner, delay, reverb....I have to mess with order occasionally as certain combos do yield big signal loss. So, if you find you're losing signal beyond acceptable, move a few things around and see what you get.

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
this is confusing.
if you like all the sounds,
if you don't feel the guitar-signal is too degraded,
if all the sounds are musically useful to ya, and
if you don't mind wiring & carrying/having carried the thing?

decide for yourself: try it.
it's your decision; there's no right or wrong in this,
and many possible workarounds to keep it personally functional.

of course:
you didn't mention which amp(s) you're using.
???
i've noticed that, sometimes, a wackload of drive/boost/grit/fuzz pedals
can be due to an amp simply lacking in suitable sounds & functionality.

dt / spltrcl

Lolaviola

Silver Supporting Member
^^^
I was gonna say something along those lines, but splatt says it so well.
I would think there's a point where I wanna let the amp do more of the work; like if there is a good sound, you wanna play on that sound all night, right?
Live, I have always prefered less sh%t to haul around, in addition to the above reason. I would love to hear folks who use a lotta gear live discuss their experiences.
I don't really know what you want ot use these dirt boxes for? That is always the firstmost question? I'm sure there is a difference between a board for recording/enjoyment/live gig playing.

jmoose

In my experience... after a certain number of dirt boxes in any application there is indeed a point of diminishing returns.

What I find happens is that at least live, when someones got 3 fuzz boxes and 5 different distortions... all we hear, even at FOH where I know the players rig is at best, a couple of distinctly different sounds.

Many years ago I was producing a record & was good friends with the guitarist... in the studio we could easily hear the differences between overdrives, boosts & different combination's of his half-dozen pedals & amps.

But live, in a club with a few hundred rowdy fans he had maybe 3 tones.

The "big" board I'm wiring now has a fuzz and an overdrive, and I'm gonna see if I can squeeze on the proctavia but that's it. Between those two & what my amps can do, stacking things... its more then enough to get any level of grind I need, especially if I swap those two dirt boxes out for different dirt boxes.

JeffOlson

Tiger Woods doesn't think so...

Personally, I suggest having no more than three at a time (light, medium, and heavy). That way, you can really get to know them...

JRBain

I echo the sentiment of 'If you like it, keep it'. However, I think that the answer to this question is 'yes', because for me, there comes a point at which you need to just get on and play. Not trying to be a pompous ass; I could use lots of boost and OD pedals, but it would drive me up the wall. No pun intended.

Strat

Silver Supporting Member
as someone else has said. It really makes no difference because your the only one who can hear it,( maybe ) and no one else ( in the audience or band mates ) cares...really.

Cap'nMayhem

It's true, you may be the only one who can hear the differences or at least the only one who cares but if it makes a difference to you and you care then go for it. Your tone is exactly that YOUR TONE. I play better with tones I love and I love variety. Follow your gut.

Last Nerve

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Gold Supporting Member
Paging Flying V.
You outta see his board. I will NEVER feel bad about mine! :)

Last Nerve

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Gold Supporting Member
Ugh. Not much there right now.
Got my Matchless Chieftain and my Suhr Classic in the last 30 days and I'm loving life!
Gonna pick up a Suhr Riot when they get in stock again.

Trending Topics