• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Is there such an amp?

Teleking

Silver Supporting Member
I love the 59 bassman. I love Victorias. I love tweed amps. However, at times I'd like a blackface sound.

Mostly though, I want the tweed. I need at least 30 watts. I want multiple tone shaping controls. Doesn't need to be channel switching as I usually use pedals. Reverb isn't a big thing. Tremelo is nice, but not vital.

I know of the Tone King Meteors, and the Pure 64, but I think they're more blackface with some tweed characteristics. I'm looking for the other way around.

Any thoughts? Thanks

shark_bite

You might consider trying out a Goodsell Super 17. Kind of hard to classify what it really does, but with the right speaker you can probably get a pretty tweedy sounding sweet spot that with the gain down cleans up pretty blackface. Of course it uses a completely different set of power tubes than either the tweed or the BF, but it still may be worth a listen. Richard makes one hell of an amp.

Eric Dahlberg

We're building an amp right now that's basically a tweed Deluxe on one side and a Deluxe Reverb on the other. TBH, it seems too obvious of a connection for someone to not already have come up with it.

SatelliteAmps

People have done a mix of tweed & blackface deluxe's in the past. Got one sitting on my bench right now. It's not a bad job. No idea who built it. Tweed side isn't quite squishy enough, but I think that is just a comprimise that had to be made when putting the two amps together.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
Doesn't the Supersonic do this with the choices on clean side of the two channels? I think it's got the Bassman sound and the Vibrolux sounds to choose from and a killer OD channel as well.

ROKY

TopHat amps made a model called the Embassy that does
Tweed and BF tones very convincingly from a single channel's EQ
panel. It has 4 6V6's in its cathode bias'd pwr. section, for 35 watts.

The treble control; turned past 1:00, cuts the low mids out, so
you can adjust the mids & bass to get a nice BF voicing.

Turn the treble back to noon, or further CCW and it thickens, up,
while still allowing you to put the mids where you want them.

I've got two of these amps, and they're brilliant at what they do !

Teleking

Silver Supporting Member
Is the TopHat and head/cab amp or a combo?

I own a Goodsell 17. Nice amp, but doesn't sound much like my Tweed. Sounds more like my Vox AC15.

Maybe it's impossible to do it convincing on both sides. As I said, I'd more want it convincing on the tweed side than the blackface. I wouldn't mind even more of a AC30 side and Tweed side. THat would be a real nice combination as well.

shark_bite

If you'd be more into AC15/Tweed, check this out. From what I hear it's the AC15 front end coupled with a more tweed backend. Or maybe I've got that backwards... but either way, these sound clips are pretty friggin' sweet.

ROKY

Is the TopHat and head/cab amp or a combo?

Maybe it's impossible to do it convincing on both sides. As I said, I'd more want it convincing on the tweed side than the blackface. I wouldn't mind even more of a AC30 side and Tweed side. THat would be a real nice combination as well.
Both of them are heads, although they do fit into a TopHat 2x12 combo
cab .

Interesting that you mention the AC30 and Tweed connection. .

Re: this TopHat .

The preamp is based on the 1950's Gibson GA77; which was the basis
for the AC30 built by Dick Denny - that was the amp circuit he
chose. In any case the interactivity of the controls make for
a very versatile/easy-to-voice-from-one-end-to-the-other, amp.

Eric Dahlberg

Doesn't the Supersonic do this with the choices on clean side of the two channels? I think it's got the Bassman sound and the Vibrolux sounds to choose from and a killer OD channel as well.
From playing the two modes, I'm under the impression that they're both based on blackface tone stacks, with the Bassman simply sounding like a darker version of the Vibrolux mode. Neither mode made me think tweed.

Trending Topics