Is There Such An "Animal"?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by emjee, Oct 8, 2006.

1. emjee

emjee Member

Hello,

Was hoping you folks could help. I teach guitar, and was wondering what I would have to do to be able to record onto a CD when giving a lesson; be able to plug my guitar into my pc and have what I play print out in tablature on the screen, so I can then print it on paper to give to the students, with a cd of the lesson? Does anyone know if there is any such "Animal" and roughly what would it cost? Many thanks for any help.

Thanks
    Matt

2. kovachian

kovachian Member

If there is such software as you describe, I would pay absolute top dollar for that! I don't know of anything like that but when it comes to tab software, Guitar Pro 5 is THE best, bar none. You'll have to type out the tabs manually (either by numbers, or on a "virtual fretboard", pretty cool). Sorry that I can't be of more help.

3. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

I'm pretty sure there are some that will, as long as you're using a midi pickup to send the info to the puter. Sibelius? Finale? I can't remember. I think Sibelius can do audio and notation, and Finale is just notatioin. Might need a separate device/software for audio.

4. elambo

elambo Member

I've never heard of such a thing. It's technically possible because there are guitars that can send MIDI to your computer, but for the lead sheet to print correctly it would take a bit of configuring (setting tempo and meter and key, playing to a click, setting note resolution for the printout, etc.) but it should be possible.

That does seem like a nice idea - I'm surprised this hasn't been invented yet. Or maybe it has...

(I'll look around)

5. SarasotaSlim

SarasotaSlim Member

If you have a BIG MAC and Logic Pro http://www.apple.com/logicpro/ you can do this with a piano in real time according to #9 on the features list. It would probably do it with a midi guitar too. As for the creation of a CD it may require a few extra steps but I'm sure that the same program could get you there too.

This is a great tool for the reading and writing midi type musician because you can see what you've played - create music scores for multiple musicians - alter it if needed - print it - record it - etc.

http://www.apple.com/logicpro/musicstudio.html

6. emjee

emjee Member

Thanks for your help guys, 'preciate it! Unfortunately I dont have a MAC, so thats a minus. You would think if they have such a thing for a MAC that there would be a similar app for the PC. Keep those responses comin!

Matt

7. emjee

emjee Member

As far as I can tell right now, the recording of the guitar onto the PC would be a separate application than recording it, AND THEN having it come up on your screen as tablature (Unfortunately musical notation wouldnt be feasible for me Sarasota). Elambo, thanks for keeping an eye
    out for something like this. Sounds like you know what is needed to accomplish developing a software program to do this. If there isnt already one on the market, how difficult do you think it would be to develop? And the rough cost to develop same? We can take this to PM or email if you want.

Thanks All,

Matt
    PS: The Zoom H4 looks like a really cool and useful tool. It will record with its on board stereo mic's, then you can squirt it right on to your HDD via a USB thingy, I think.