Is there such thing as a fully hollow tele?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DannyTolchiner, Feb 11, 2012.

1. DannyTolchiner

DannyTolchiner Member

I'm crazy about hollowbody axes and think teles are cool....I don't like the thin line semi hollows either....does anyone make a fully hollow tele?

2. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

We worked on a customer's guitar that had a body that was built like an ovation- plastic back but bound spruce top- standard Tele shape, bridge, controls and hardware. It was some sort of off brand from the Pacific Rim. If you found one like it, it'll need work!
    I'm building a Tele body right now with the classic Danelectro construction- hollow Pine frame with Masonite top and back. I would think that any decent luthier would be able to do something similar with a budget tele body:
    Rout the body until it is a hollow frame and put a top and back on it.
    You'd have to go with a top load bridge, or Bigsby!!! Yeah...

3. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I've not encountered a truly hollow body tele, but have played/owned a couple chambered ones. My favorite by far is a partscaster made with a Chandler body. Chambered ash body, spruce top. You can really hear those empty spaces, and the spruce top imparts a very cool edge and clarity to the sound.

You can lose sustain with hollowbody construction, though that's only one quality of the sound to consider. Thinking my Eastwood Airline tuxedo, which is fully hollow, no f-holes. At lower volumes the lessened sustain is obvious. Turn it up, and that factor ceases to be important. The Chandler bodied tele doesn't have that obviously reduced sustain. Maybe a little thinner, a little less punch at lower volumes than the fully solid body.

Chambered bodies really can get the best of both worlds IMO.
    MD

4. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

you may want to ask over at the tdpri home depot area. i'm sure there's someone who has built one before.

5. Home Grown Tele

Home Grown Tele Member

Bought this one on eBay awhile back. Still haven't gotten around to doing anything with it yet but it is certainly as hollow as ya can get!

[​IMG]

6. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

Looks like Mahogony. Would love to hear that when finished.

7. magicaxeman

magicaxeman Member

Maybe on the back and sides but that top looks like a nice piece of flamed Koa..

I would kill for that body lol... its gorgeous..

I've hunted for a HB tele for ages, but no, not off the shelf, I intend to get one built at some point

8. giltgitguy

giltgitguy Member

I'm building a Tele body right now with the classic Danelectro construction- hollow Pine frame with Masonite top and back. I would think that any decent luthier would be able to do something similar with a budget tele body:
    Rout the body until it is a hollow frame and put a top and back on it.
    You'd have to go with a top load bridge, or Bigsby!!! Yeah...[/QUOTE]

I'm doing the same thing, almost. I chambered the body of a squire tele and put a masonite top on it, but kept the original back intact. I am dropping a custom loaded strat guard into it. I'm assembling the whole thing this afternoon, and then I'll start the finishing process. I'm gilding the top with silver leaf and then spraying a pale seafoam green lacquer to tint the silver. I'll post pix when it's done.