Is there was there any love for the Yamaha Magic Stomp?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Clifford-D, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

I still have mine, I won't get rid of it.

No one got more strange effects in one stompbox I think.

Some of them are stellar, very good pitch shifter, dopplar
    shimmer, ring mod, and then there's the crazy stuff lol

Stupid interface, editing is so limiting without the computer
    in tow. special power supply, that was weird.
    The thing absolutely tone sucks without an additional hard bypass,,

but the tones are amazingly musical and great to record with

Any love for this misfit/excellent modeler like I got for it???

2. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

3. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

With the exception of the boldface phrase, I did a double-take...I thought for a split second that I wrote this post.

I will add that I find the flakey footswitches utterly charming and the master volume a wonderful idea because it does not to adjust to unity across the patches. :sarcasm

I have used it as my primary delay pedal, for acoustic simulator, or modulations. The overdrive/dist/fuzz as well as amp sims are simply foul. Since I went to the M9, it has not made it back onto my pedalboard, however, I don't see myself getting rid of it, either.

4. halcyon85

halcyon85 Member

Someone mentioned it to me on here before and after checking it out I've wanted to play with one, just haven't got around to it. It has an awesome sounding modulated verb I'd like to try.

5. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

I can't remember his name on the board, but there is someone here who does a lot of tv and studio work with them on a regular basis.

Always seemed like one of those pedals with loads of character and value, bought up by those in the know, but also generally ignored by the majority

joe

6. monkjunior

monkjunior Member

i had about 7 of these things at one stage.......
    they were great... there was demand for them a while back so i sold them all and made a tiny sum.... bought an axe-fx... have since sold that tooo....wish i'd of kept at least a couple...(ms's that is)

7. fretbuzzed

fretbuzzed Member

great pedal! Jaywalker is the gentlemen you're trying to remember JamonGrande.

With the editor this pedal is unbelievable. The chorusing is the wettest deepest ive heard in a pedal.

There are so many great things to love about this box. To bad Yamaha has such a hard time marketing because they always make great stuff.

8. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Wow, love, sweet love

9. CaseyI

CaseyI Member

Great sounds. Crap switches. Just terrible. They squeek and grind, and mine are intermittant.

10. drolling

drolling Member

To reiterate, Cliff - Please go check out what Jaywalker's done with these!!

Made we want to go out & buy a bunch of 'em, but they're surprisingly hard to find

Listening to his demos, it's also clear that these units aren't simple 'plug & play' boxes. IIRC, his name's John Dale, and his prodigious programming skills are right up there with his playing chops, which are far from insubstantial!!

11. kp8

kp8 Member

Been gigging mine for a long long time. Been on my board since 2006. I live in constant fear it will give out since i have my own patches for it that i love and the box has a couple of very unique features never seen before in a stomp box. Like the versatile 3-band multi-filter (24 dB/octave) that does high pass, low pass, band pass with a very wide rage (20 Hz-16 kHz) and 0-100% Mix Level. Would pay a bajillion dollars for any stand alone box that does this. Far as I can tell nothing does.

The good:

The delays, the verbs (big fan of plate), the excellent ring mod, the 100%-0% wet dry mix, pitch shifting, the multi filter, the chorus.

The bad:
    no exp., no reverse delay (huh?)

The ugly:
    Switches, the power supply, the jacks, the fact that the left output tends to go to half vol. after a couple years use... etc.

I wish Yamaha would not have given up on this project. I would easily pay the MSR for a MG III that was more robust and had a better interface.

-kp-