• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Is this 1990 '62 AVRI legit?

arthurcx

Hey guys, I'm almost certain this is the real deal but I'm a Gibson guy and don't know my way around Fender's too well..also it anyone has info on these specific guitars I'd be grateful :) one thing that concerns me is that the guitar finish seems to be chipping away in a way that looks like a poly finish and not ageing as I expect nitro to age. I understand that these guitars have a poly undercoat, does this mean that they won't ever age like I expect them to?

Last edited:

arthurcx

It's got me fooled! ;)
Well it had me fooled too..it turns out that the pickguard is actually not original which was pointed out by the guys on strat talk was wondering if someone could authenticate the rest of the guitar?

sshan25

Supporting Member
Closeup of headstock. Neck plate. A look inside pickup cavity might be helpful.

Johnny Alien

Silver Supporting Member
The case is correct for that time period. As far as the finish is concerned, it will age like nitro but it CAN get dings in the poly undercoat like you are seeing there.

michael patrick

Loud and proud
Silver Supporting Member
Yep, pickguard looks wrong.

I'd wonder about the electronics too, given the swap of the guard. I haven't found another set of pickups that sound as good as the ones that came stock in mine (and which I still have in there...).

The neck looks right, with the right kind of fret markers. It should be a 4-bolt neck, and the serial number should start with V.

If it plays nice and the price reflects the changed parts it still might be worth it.

BTB

Silver Supporting Member
Ditto on the electronics, take a peek under the pickguard. Also, interesting that a 26 year old guitar hasn't been intonized.

JPIndustrie

Fender still used poly under coats and sealers , I believe even to present day with the pure vintage. I believe the older one used poly or fullerplast also.

arthurcx

Yep, pickguard looks wrong.

I'd wonder about the electronics too, given the swap of the guard. I haven't found another set of pickups that sound as good as the ones that came stock in mine (and which I still have in there...).

The neck looks right, with the right kind of fret markers. It should be a 4-bolt neck, and the serial number should start with V.

If it plays nice and the price reflects the changed parts it still might be worth it.
Yeah given that the pickguard isn't original I'm also worried about the electronics....I will get the owner to take pictruresof the serial number and neck joint. It's priced at $1400 AUD which is about $1000 USD which is a good price but I don't think I'd be too keen on it if the electronics have been changed
Ditto on the electronics, take a peek under the pickguard. Also, interesting that a 26 year old guitar hasn't been intonized.
Sorry but what does intonized mean?

retroLS1

^ I would take a guess he means intonated -- all the bridge saddles look like they are all level like nobody has ever adjusted the intonation

Kmaz

Silver Supporting Member
The reissues are known for inaccuracies. They change up now and then.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom