Is this a Bogner or Two Rock? Part 2.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fatbagg, Sep 10, 2019 at 1:07 AM.

Is this a Bogner or Two-Rock?

1. Bogner

69.2%
  2. Two-Rock

30.8%
  1. fatbagg

fatbagg Member

It is recorded through a phone, so that doesn’t help.

No pedals used in the front, just a delay in the loop. 2x12 Pine UKv30 cab.

It could be a Two Rock Emerald (Modded by Bill Krinard for more options and gain and no master volume) or a Bogner Helios Eclipse.

WBellman and Vaibhav Joshi like this.
  2. Plexi68

Plexi68 Member

I have no experience with either amp but hearing some Marshall grind starting around the 1:10 mark. I’m going to guess Eclipse?

fatbagg likes this.
  3. fatbagg

fatbagg Member

Ill reveal in a few days, but I like the reason behind your choice. Crazy good amp! Both of these amps can be set up pretty similar, bold warm midrange and smooth as can be! The Eclipse does have a Marshall grind, a very warm and fat take, but its there. This Two Rock, however, may be the most gainy Two Rock out there, haha. I can get them pretty
    Close. In the room you would know the difference in response and feel, but through an iPhone with amps setup to sound similar it’s tough.

4. mscotts

mscotts What?! Silver Supporting Member

Doesn’t sound like a Bogner to me in the midrange...so I’ll guess Two Rock.
    Two great amps to have in one’s stable for sure!

Vaibhav Joshi and fatbagg like this.
  5. fatbagg

fatbagg Member

Too bright or dark in the mids? Or just character overall. Sorry for the weird wording, it’s difficult to respond and not give away details!

6. mscotts

mscotts What?! Silver Supporting Member

There's just something about the mids in a vintage Marshall and the well executed variants (Bogner, Friedman, Suhr, Germino etc...)
    that sticks out to me. Some call it "woody", some say it's a kerraang lol...
    To me its a warm bite that excites the midrange frequencies.
    I don't really hear it in your clip. Sounds good tho, esp for low volume playing.

7. 44 and feeling it

44 and feeling it Member

All this proves to me so far is that every amp you have demoed here, you dial in to make them sound almost identical, which to me means you really only need one amp. I loved the blues clip trolling. Opening 10 seconds and last 10 seconds with everything else full throttle shred ahead. Nice. You got me. At least i hear some Eric Johnson licks in there...keep on blazing the shred sounds real good, if shred is what you're doing.

8. fatbagg

fatbagg Member

Yea, the difference is in the feel, and nuances in the room. But yes, I get everything a particular sound I want, or it’s gotta go, haha.

Not sure what I classify this as, in my head it’s playing some blues, haha. Maybe a bit in left field and not so well done!

Vaibhav Joshi likes this.
  9. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

That chord progression is so uncannily similar to what I'm playing these days, even his playing..
    The sound quality though...
    I will refrain from voting.
    How have you narrowed it down to these 2 amps? This seems biased.. Why can't it be my amp, which is not available there & is cheaper than a pedal?

fatbagg likes this.
  10. fatbagg

fatbagg Member

How have I narrowed it down to these two? Because that is me playing and I own both amps.
    What amp are you playing?

Vaibhav Joshi likes this.
  11. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

Oh :hide2
    I'm playing through an SS, 1x12, made here locally (Stranger).

The recording sounds great.
    I think you're playing through the Bogner. Someone pointed out the grind. I have no clue. But I can make out it's a 50W or more.
    Whatever that amp is, it sounds huge..

fatbagg likes this.
  12. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Supporting Member

Just listening through my cell phone, I give the nod to the Bogner. I’ve owned 2 Shivas and they’ve always had healthy compression and a lower mid voicing.

I’ve never played an Eclipse, but if I take the voicing I know from Bogner and step up the gain I think I can draw good parallels here to the clip posted.

I would expect that the Two Rock is more open and less compressed - but who knows - we’re talking tiny cell phone speakers and YT compression is also at play. It doesn’t help the cleans are clearly rolled back .

13. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Member

Crate Stealth

fatbagg likes this.
  14. fatbagg

fatbagg Member

Busted! Haha. And a Boss Metalzone for those sweet cleans.