Is this a chorus pedal? (80s melodic hardcore)

krr149

Silver Supporting Member
Looking for the sage advice of folks far more learned than myself in identifying guitar tones. There's a sound I love that shows up on a lot of guitars in 80s melodic hardcore bands. My gut says it's a chorus of some sort, but I could be plenty wrong. Does anyone have any insight into what the modulation on the guitars might be? Or is it just a recording thing and my ears are tricking me? Many thanks in advance.

npappas

it would be helpful to know where you are hearing the effect in the song, I couldn't hear anything on the guitar in the Dag Nasty track at all, just sounds like guitar.

The 7 Seconds (great song btw, today I learned!) seems to have some chorusing on the guitars. Whether it is a pedal or not I can't say for sure. It could just be that they double-tracked the guitar parts, this can produce a chorusing or detune-like effect. It could also just be a jangly guitar like a Rickenbacker, maybe even a Rick 12 string. Or it could be a chorus pedal.

krr149

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the reply! And yeah I love that 7 Seconds tune. The chorusing is real clear there. Part of me wants to see if a Ce-2 or Small Clone could get me close.

What I think I’m hearing on the Dag Nasty song is way more subtle - I think I hear some sort of motion in the guitar in the “you’ll never know…” part at like 25 seconds in, but it could be all in my head. I’m guessing it’s just a double tracked guitar thing there.

Every time someone posts Revolution Summer era Hardcore on this board, my faith is restored.

Definitely chorus on the Dag track as well. Couldn’t say which one though. There’s a great interview on the No Idols substack with Pete From Verbal Assault who ended up buying The chorus Brian Baker used on Can I Say and Wig Out. He doesn’t go in to details but does describe it as a stereo chorus pedal. Maybe Boss DC-2, Arion or TC SCF considering the era?

Gonna throw this on here too, just cause it doesn’t get the love it deserves.

3waytie4last

Mumbler
Platinum Supporting Member
Not sure the device he's using (everybody had a Boss chorus in the 80s), but the most-chorus sounding 7Seconds tone I can think of is here...

seiko

For the live track, I would guess the guitarist is using a JC-120/JC-50/Some other kind of chorus amp, possibly in conjunction with another amp for tube-style grit. It's purely a guess, but a lot of punk/post-punk players used or use that kind of setup.

It just doesn't have the all-consuming vibe of an 80s chorus pedal, it's a bit more nuanced

krr149

Silver Supporting Member
Every time someone posts Revolution Summer era Hardcore on this board, my faith is restored.

Definitely chorus on the Dag track as well. Couldn’t say which one though. There’s a great interview on the No Idols substack with Pete From Verbal Assault who ended up buying The chorus Brian Baker used on Can I Say and Wig Out. He doesn’t go in to details but does describe it as a stereo chorus pedal. Maybe Boss DC-2, Arion or TC SCF considering the era?

Gonna throw this on here too, just cause it doesn’t get the love it deserves.

Revolution Summer is just the best, forever. I spent the afternoon going through a lot of that era and thinking of chorus-y sounds but then got distracted listening to that whole Rain EP and the One Last Wish collection. And I actually just got the Verbal Assault record on vinyl from Rev's distribution -- what a completely underrated classic!

Thanks for everyones input on the sound -- maybe the TC SCF is the way to go.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom