Is this a "custom" Pearly gates humbucker?? color orange.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by hippieboy, Mar 25, 2015.

1. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

Hi, i know very little regarding pickups and i want to buy a pearly gates, i'm familiar with the black and white pearly gates humbucker, this one is orange and similar to a single coil. The person who is selling this told me it's custom shop, i haven't been able to verify the info. do any of you recognize this as a pearly gates humbucker? if that's the case it's the same as the other ones? thanks for the help! :)

[​IMG]

2. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

3. gripweed

gripweed Member

It sure looks like it! The Duncan Custom Shop does a Strat size Pearly Gates. It has the initials MJ on it, which is good. She does most of the winding at the Custom Shop. I would send the Custom Shop an email with the pictures attached. They keep meticulous records on that stuff.

4. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

Cool ! Btw i'm looking to use it as a bridge pickup do you think it would make a big difference since this one is made for the neck? i'll be pairing it with 2 single coils SCN.

5. snarl

snarl Member

SD pickups can be ordered in a pretty wide range of colors, they call it shop floor custom.

6. gripweed

gripweed Member

It's probably slightly underwound to make up for volume/tone differences between neck and bridge, so no I don't think it would make a huge difference.

SCN? Do you mean the Fender noiseless pickups?

Edit: the shop floor custom refer to standard production pickups that have a minor alteration to them. Last I knew the mini Pearly Gates is still a Custom Shop pickup.

7. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

Hi, the SCN are samarium cobalt noiseless by fender! they are stock on my american deluxe hss strat (2007) I love those pickups but the humbucker is a diamond which is not bad, but i'm looking for something different hence my question if they'll pair up nicely! thanks for all the info btw.

So do you think they'll pair up nice with the SCN ?

8. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

I just did a little research on this and it seems as if SSL PG code does correspond to their Pearly Gates Strat sized pickup......which I HAD NO IDEA they made until I started reading this thread.

Hot dang! I never knew you could get one of these! I probably would have tried one of these a looooooong time ago had I known!

9. gripweed

gripweed Member

Yeah, I thought that is what you meant. I don't have experience with the SCNs, but I suspect you'll be alright.

10. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

Cool pickup.
    OP, the only thing to watch out for is that Duncan & Fender PUs
    together usually have phase issues. Flip the ground / hot on the Duncan & you're all good.

11. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

thanks a lot for that great tip!:beer