Is this a di*k move? Guitar loan related.... Update/Conclusion

moosewayne

Silver Supporting Member
Several years ago, I dunno 15 or so, I loaned a Fender Strat to my nephew. I loaned it with the caveats that
1. he could not sell it.
2. he can keep it as long as he plays it. If it just sits around in the case, then I want it back.

Fast forward to now, I come to find out the Strat has been living at my brothers' house. My nephew keeps it there for something to strum on when he visits his mom and dad.
My nephew is in grad school, several states away and highly doubtful he'll ever move back to the area.

Is it a dick move to want the guitar back?
I have a nice collection and I'm almost positive I'll sell it to finance another Ric or amp. Lord knows my brother makes enough $$ to buy an Am. Std. Strat any time he wants, and the guitar was loaned to my nephew--NOT my brother.

Anyone ever find themselves in a similar situation?
I'd be very curious to know your thoughts.....

Last edited:

Astronaut FX

Gold Supporting Member
Deals with family members are rarely good deals. He has adhered to #1 by not selling it. Technically, with respect to #2, he is playing it. And at least as you stated your caveats here, you did not clarify the frequency or the location with respect to him playing it. So from my perspective, he's meeting both caveats, as you stated them.

You could try having a conversation with your now adult nephew to see if you could work out an updated arrangement.

Astronaut FX

Gold Supporting Member
Adhere to the terms of the deal.
That's going to be tricky, at least as they've been laid out here. First, it was a verbal deal. Second, it was a deal with a minor. Third, the second term is not well defined. That term does not provide the clarification that would be required to definitively determine whether or not it was met. Does playing it once a year suffice, once a month? What about where? Put me on a jury, and the nephew keeps the guitar.

bluejazzoid

Silver Supporting Member
Truth is, he's probably left it at your brother's house because he's never felt like it was HIS -- seriously, your initial deal sounds too "strings attached" to me. Why not ask your nephew if he'd like the Strat to be HIS? You've lived without it for this long, so you really don't need it yourself, right?

You really should just give it to him... maybe he'll play it more, get really good, and you'll be the cool uncle! (instead of the dick uncle lol).

My 2 cents.

Trending Topics