Is this a fair trade?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Kooshball, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Kooshball

Kooshball Member

So a couple of years ago I picked up an epiphone dot with HSC, recently put a JB and a Jazz pickup in with upgraded electronics + straplocks.

I really don't find myself playing it enough because the body shape feels akward and it turns out semi-hollowbodys aren't as great as I thought. (may just be a phase i'm in)

I got an offer to trade for a G&L tribute invader standard with a MXR phase 90 pedal.

considering the upgrades does this seem like a fair trade?
    I've always wanted a G&L but probably a higher/american model
    I already own an american strat so I'm thinking I have more of a versitale sound considering my current lineup.

2. Kooshball

Kooshball Member

3. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

I wouldn't trade an Epi for a Tribute personally, especially since the Epi is a 335, but let your ears be the judge.

4. Kooshball

Kooshball Member

Are you just a fan of the body styles? for me, its not a bad tone or plays bad, but its just so akward since i'm so used to the strat style.

I haven't personally played the invader or ever used an MXR phase 90. The guy offereing the trade lives an hour away, so I don't want to really make the drive unless I have a good feeling its worth it.

5. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

If you're unsure of any trade, sell what you have and then buy something that will work for you.

You'll have far more options that way.

Figure a price for the dot and tell the guy with the Tribute what you want for it. If he's interested in it as a trade, he may just buy it.

Good luck

6. RichieRich

RichieRich Senior Member

7. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

I'm a little partial to hollows and semi-hollows, so you could say I'm biased. Guitar for guitar an Epi Dot with Duncans and new wires is gonna smoke a dead stock Tribute though. It'll also look cooler. :D

8. Kooshball

Kooshball Member

thanks man, thats all I needed to hear.

I have heard great things about G&L, but haven't ever played an invader, no store carries them..

I have my eyes on the S-500/Legacy models.
    although the old invaders look awesome!
    it's just what I have my heart set on (thanks to jake cinnigar)

9. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

funny the epi for a $400 guitar, which when you sell the epi is probably what you will get for your guitar, after the hassle.

I would feel better if the guy threw in a couple more pedals to make things more even.

having a guitar that you don't play cause you don't like it is pretty silly, I avoided semi-hollowbodies for years. the invader is probably a guitar your going to enjoy playing.

10. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

The Tribute is an import model, Korean I think, so they'll definitely be cheaper. Since you already have a Korean (unless you have a Jap model) guitar that you've done away with all the worst parts out of, the electronics, you'd be starting all over with the Invader. Personally if you just have to have a guitar like that, go get a lower model Ibanez I'd say. They look as good if not better, and Ibanez makes surprisingly good cheap guitars. Ideally just hold out for a real deal G&L Legacy or something though and keep that Epi Dot. ES-335's are such cool guitars.

11. Kooshball

Kooshball Member

Well, its not that I don't like the guitar,

its just an akward transition to play it standing up with a strap. it just doesn't feel right, I'm used to the smaller strat type feel.

I'm a guitar addict and the hollowbody was probably more of an impulse/phase buy, but I feel it does give me a decent change from the strat.

12. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Sell the Dot for $400 like suggested and buy a used Invader. I just googled and found one for $300, so save $100 for new pickups and electronics in the Invader. Or just buy a used American Strat for like $500 and skip all the nonsense :D

13. Kooshball

Kooshball Member

I have an american strat! I love it!!

see, to me, its the perfect guitar but I still want more lol
    A true guitar addict..

14. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

I think I have 7 guitars that I actually claim plus a handful of cheap-o's that are just laying around the house or out on loan. I know how it is! Hell, if you already have a Strat you might as well hang on to the ES-335 for when you feel like getting semi-hollow. Hell, get a Tele! :D

15. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

the tribute is a fixed bridge guitar, looked to me like it had a tremolo with all that metal in the bridge area, the Ibanez SA470 would be alot better IMO.

As far a semi-hollowbody guitar, they are cool if you have some good solid body guitar, strats, Ibanez, LP, if its your only guitar they are a pain.

16. Kooshball

Kooshball Member

that was in serious debate, since I've never owned one

I have 3 different directions pulling me on my next guitar

a G&L strat
    A G&L tele
    or an ESP ec-1000

all pretty different, but the ec-1000 has emg 81's and has a killer metal sound, not something I play alll the time but perfect for what it does.

and for the record I play through a Fender twin, which just compliments single coil clean sounds so well. I could play for hours and hours (usually do)

17. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Let's see, MF lists G&L Tribute guitars at $599 MIK. They don't have the Invader listed. The Epi Dot lists for $399, unless you get a Deluxe, $20 more, or an Elitist, $1299. The Dots are MIC. I like both makers, so really it is your call. The phase 90 lists for $80. I wouldn't say bad deal at all. Pretty straight up when you include the SD pups.

18. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member