Is this a fake?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Wiz-ski, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Wiz-ski

Wiz-ski Member

2. woof*

woof* Member

rosewood fingerboard = no skunk stripe (cept tokai) :)

3. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Tough to tell one way or the other from those tiny pictures the seller put in the listing.

If something seems too good to be true, it probably is.

--chiba

4. Tweedledee

Tweedledee Member

It's difficult to tell from the photos, but that's the right price range for one of the Fender Japan rosewood Teles so it's not "too good to be true" in that sense.

5. dunara

dunara Member

The 1990 re-issue I owned had a skunk stripe, the original one I saw recently didn't. These could all be the real thing - that is, what each lister claims.
    The OP's link is a bit shaky, however: it's a terrible listing full of innacuracies. The neck is definitely not maple (!) and I'm not sure that Schaller had anything to do with the machines. Mine had Klusons, and so does the one with the skunk stripe and the Custom Shop one. The original one I saw, however had 'F' branded tuners.
    As far as the sandwich stripe is concerned, I reckon I can see it on my screen - very faint, but there. These guitars have a very thick (Shellac) lacquer, and it's not surprising that there's a strong reflection....
    It has to be said that these are not cheap or easy guitars to replicate. If you were a guitar maker up to no good, there's much easier money to be made than this. Try pricing the body and neck from Warmoth, and you'll find that you won't get much change out of the asking price for this guitar.....
    What I'm saying is; it's a terrible listing, but it's probably a MIJ Fender.

6. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

Looks like a MIM reissue to me - they had rosewood 'laminates' on the front and back of the body (sides painted black), and a rosewood fingerboard on a maple neck (back painted black)... Very different guitar from the MIJ reissues.

Definately request better closeups of the sides (my MIJ had the maple stripe in the middle of the body) and the detail on that decal at the bottom of the neck above the neckplate.

7. dunara

dunara Member

Didn't know there was a a MIM reissue of this guitar - that would explain some of the anomalies in the listing. I'm happy to stand corrected! :BEER