Is this a germanium or silicon fuzz?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tnjazz, May 29, 2015.

1. tnjazz

tnjazz Supporting Member

2. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

The small transistor is silicon for sure.

The larger, round transistor looks like a Fairchild...also silicon.

3. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

Trick question. It's not a fuzz

4. tnjazz

tnjazz Supporting Member

lol, not a trick question! It IS a fuzz. I don't have it in front of me at the moment but I believe the larger transistor has 2N3636 or something like that on it.

5. muletrane

muletrane Supporting Member

They both look like silicon to me.

6. bratch

bratch Member

Ok we give up what pedal is that

7. tnjazz

tnjazz Supporting Member

It's a Bearfoot Burgundy Bosshorn fuzz.

Here's the deal. I traded for this earlier this week and just got it in yesterday.

The problem I'm having with it is this: the silicon version is supposed to have an "S" on the top edge to differentiate it (and I believe the shipping boxes say BBHS). This one has no "S" on it anywhere, and the box says "BBH".

In addition, I sent a pic to Donner to confirm, as did the person I got this from and both of us were told it was germanium. However, every visible part number I look up on this board comes up silicon. I don't see anything anywhere on the board that even remotely resembles a germanium transistor.

So what to believe? When Bearfoot themselves say it's germanium it's hard to dispute it isn't it?

I picked this up on the strength of the demos I watched, and I much preferred the germanium tone to the silicon one. I won't have a chance to plug it up and try it out until this evening, so it's certainly possible it will stay regardless of whether it's germ or silicon. My main reason for getting it in the first place was to get the germ version though, as I've never tried anything but silicon fuzzes and I'm looking for a less aggressive sound overall.

8. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

even the diodes are silicon