Is this a good deal? Fender trade.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by oacikgoz, Feb 25, 2009.

1. oacikgoz

oacikgoz Member

Hi everyone,

I recently changed my guitar and I was wondering whether you think it was a good trade or not.

I had a 1992 US Fender Floyd Rose Classic HSS in excellent condition, no dings, some small scratches here and there. It had a Dimarzio Paf Pro humbucker and 2 standard single coils.

I swapped it with a 2008 US Fender Deluxe Stratocaster (SSS) with Alder body and Maple neck, practically new, no problems whatsoever.

I didn't pay or receive anything.

What do you think?

2. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

Sounds fair to me. Do you have a pic of either?

3. oacikgoz

oacikgoz Member

4. blueslover

blueslover Member

Sounds like you got the far better deal to me...

5. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I think so too, especially given Fender's recent price increases. Late model American Deluxes are among the best Strats ever produced IMHO.

6. lespaulreedsmith

lespaulreedsmith Member

where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains
    Did yours have the original Floyd or a Floyd Rose II? If yours had the Floyd II you definitely got the better deal. I had a Fender Floyd Rose with a foto flame top HSS and Floyd II. That crappy locking trem just might have ruined me for life on locking trems... what a piece... and believe me, I know how to set up locking tremolos. But that Floyd II? You couldn't even lock the strings down on the bridge without stripping the cheap pot metal and that crazy thing would seriously not stay in tune...

phew, ok rant over.. I've been holding that in since about... yep, 1992:hiP

I like the one you traded for by far...:D

7. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

you got the better deal, congrats!

8. oacikgoz

oacikgoz Member

Thanks for your input...

These SCN pickups, they sound so good! The only problem is, I screwed up the tone by changing the pickup height a little bit. They are overly sensitive to height. Maybe I should take the guitar to a tech and get them adjusted. They sound much better when they are very close to the strings.

I was following the suggestions by Bill Lawrence. Putting a dime between the high E string and the bridge pickup polepiece and adjust until the dime touches the string while playing the highest fret. Do the same with 2 dimes for the bass side etc etc. I was thinking a dime is too little a distance, I was wrong, actually it sounds even better when I raise it a little higher.

Also, the middle pickup set fairly high compared to neck pickup gives better quack.

I'm a complete noob in pickup height setting. Does anyone know how to do this properly? Maybe I can save money by not going to a guitar tech :D

Does anyone have experience with SCN pickups?

Thanks

9. jtm622

jtm622 Member

If you're happy and the other guy is happy, then yes; that was a pretty GOOD deal...

10. 83stratman

83stratman Supporting Member

Monetarily you did fine. Me, on the other hand, would much rather have a Floyd Rose Classic than a Deluxe.

11. oacikgoz

oacikgoz Member

anyone?

12. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

Yeah man. you got the better end of the deal
    08 deluxe? that's awesome!!!

why'd he want to get rid of that? ...just for a humbucker?

good deal

13. oacikgoz

oacikgoz Member

He wanted a guitar with rosewood neck and I guess he cared more about the collectable floyd rose fender than anything.

On the other hand I was looking for a high-end yet simple Fender and that translates to deluxe and I wanted a maple neck.

14. astainback

astainback Member

I want to know more about the SCN pickup hight adjustments myself!!
    My fav. guitar is my deluxe.. and if there is some adjustments that make it even better.. I am game!