Is this a good deal? Joe Strummer Tele MIM

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by wcraven, Dec 27, 2009.

1. wcraven

wcraven Member

My buddy wants to sell me a joe strummer relic'd MIM tele for $300 and and a $30 pedal. I can't find any info about whether there were mexi's and americans but the relicing looks much worse than the rosewood fretboard models. I can't even find a maple board version online. Any experience with these? Buy it then ebay it? Has a hot rail bridge pup, stock neck

[​IMG]

2. itkindaworks

itkindaworks Member

Hmmm, I thought they were rosewood models too. Maybe it's a different neck. $300 is probably fair, definitely good if it were original.

3. kennethkofler

kennethkofler Member

I don't think there are any relic'd MIM's stock- that would be an "aftermarket custom job", I think. The Joe Strummer Tele is not a MIM as far as I know. Furthermore, the Fender relic'd guitars have fairly identical wear patterns and those ones don't match. Hot-rails are too much for my taste on a Tele, but to each his own, and they're easy to change. 300 is a fair price for an excellent condition MIM Tele. However, I don't think I'd call it a favor worth paying for when someone sands half the paint off the guitar to get an unconvincing wannabe vintage look. I think I'd politely offer 200, and hope you can ebay it for 250, or pass on the deal and preserve your friendship. If it were a Strummer Tele, it would be a great deal as they sell new for around 1200 bucks.

4. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

It is MIM.

It is a good deal if you want it.

The one they had locally was so poorly reliced that you couldn't adjust the over-rusty bridge, the frets were horrible, and close up it looked like crap. Played horribly, too.

I'd skip it. This particular guitar was a joke.

5. yakyak

yakyak Supporting Member

It is MIM. No, they didn't make rosewood models. It was very loosely based on Joe Strummers guitar. I have heard both good and bad on them. $300 is a fair price if you like it. If you ask opinions on here, they will run the gamut. Aside from finding out if the price is right, use your judgment. If you like it, buy it. If you do not or if you prefer a rosewood neck, pass....

6. natevi

natevi Member

If you like it offer $250 saying it needs a set up. Spend the extra $50 bucks and get it Plek'd and get a new bridge so for under $500 you can have an amazing guitar that plays like a $1000 dollar one.

7. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

If you CAN set it up. The one I saw had SUCH a reliced/rusted bridge you couldn't even turn the screws.

SO... price a new bridge and figure that in the cost.

Also, the tuners were messed up.

8. sleek

sleek Member

$50 for a plek job????

Where do they do that? It was around $200 out here...

9. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

^^^ $220 in LA and worth every penny.

10. sleek

sleek Member

Yeah...I'm out here and I had my '60's Riviera done...

But if I could get it for $50...jeez. I'd have everything done!

11. jacobhf

jacobhf Member

That doesn't look like a joe strummer.

the bridge is wrong and maple wasn't an option.