Is this a good idea?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ac9736, Mar 12, 2015.

1. ac9736

ac9736 Member

Okay so I've got this really cheap strat-like second hand guitar, I've already taken it apart and it's ready to be rewired and have parts replaced, and I've been thinking of making it a single Pickup guitar, putting a dimarzio evolution Hb in a position somewhere between where the middle and neck would be and having a volume and tone control and two push-pull pots... One splits the coil, and the other one makes it so that the tone control rolls off the bottom end instead of the top, making it more twangy and bright... Will this work or not? Stop me before I do something stupid!

2. John Lavelle

John Lavelle Member

I'm a novice, and have no idea, however...Go for it! And then share!

3. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

There are some guitars with pickups in the "mid" position that just sound lackluster-a Gibson ES125 I had for a while being an example... Vintage pickups and wood but just not a great pickup placement. While I would suggest either neck or near the bridge, that's me. I would try and figure out a way to test the placement before cutting the body or the pick guard to see if you like the resulting sounds.

4. halcyon

halcyon Supporting Member

Basically a low pass filter on the one push-pull, then? How do you intend to wire that up?

5. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I think you addressing some real issues.
    It will 'work.'
    You might like it, or not.:dunno