Is this a long neck tenon on my Gibby SG?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jowe, Jul 26, 2008.

1. jowe

jowe Member

Anyway so I changed the bridge pickup in my Gibson SG standard today, and I noticed the neck tenon. From my understanding a short tenon doesn't look like mine, and I'm pretty sure it looks like its a long tenon.

:hide

I wasn't aware Gibson Stardards had long tenons? Or is it just wishful thinking on my part.

Someone rain on my parade :confused:

Thanks guys.

[​IMG]

2. Doug Tulloch

Doug Tulloch Member

Definately a long neck tenon. "HC" denotes the finish, "Heritage Cherry".

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  3. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

If you changed the bridge pickup and noticed the neck tenon, I'd say that's the longest tenon on record!! :)

4. SGNick

SGNick Member

That looks like a standard tenon for an SG. my faded has one like that as well.

5. jowe

jowe Member

haha you know what I mean. Batwing pickguard and all.

Anyone else with a standard sg have the same tenon length?

I googled the pictures and I've seen the tenon pictures of les pauls that look like that. But never one of an SG.

6. rog951

rog951 Member

Well, in the LP world, if you can see the tenon in the neck p/u cavity, it's a "long" tenon. The "short" tenons don't extend past the end of the fingerboard, so they'd never be visible. Not sure how this works in the SG world though, since it seems like the tenon area is a lot shallower.

7. Grant S.

Grant S. Member

Looks the same as the tenon on my Ebony board SG faded. Have to see if I can did up a picture of it...

8. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The long tenon is strictly a single-cut Les Paul phenomenon. The tenon in a single cut LP actually goes into a square channel in the body (glued to the body on all 4 sides). Short ones don't extend past the fingerboard into the neck PU cavity, intermediate are visible and long extend generally past the middle of the cavity. On your guitar, as you can see, the neck is set into a slot in the body, but there's no body wood above the tenon. They started with pretty short tenons, but after the guitars started breaking at the neck they extended them. IMHO yours is a typical modern SG tenon. Hope that helps?

9. XKnight

XKnight Member

Personally, I think this whole tenon issue is kind of funny. That one looks nice and long to me. Congrats!

10. jowe

jowe Member

Thanks guys, seems to have cleared things up.
    You can never learn if you never ask. :)

11. bostonwal

bostonwal Member

Shouldn't a long tenon theoretically be bad since it reduces the amount of body wood that vibrates? Shouldn't a better process, one that enhances the resonance of the body and guitar overall, be one where there is a tenon extending from the body that goes into the neck?

12. Samba

Samba Member

I'd personally call it a medium tenon.

Here's what a '61 reissue looks like:

[​IMG]

And here's a historic tenon:

[​IMG]

Before getting yourself down with tenon anxiety :worried :D just remember that there are a number of differing SG neck joints, so it's not an apples vs apples comparison. In the below pic on the left, you'll note how far the body comes up to meet the neck on the regular USA Standard. It's an inherently sturdy joint.

Edit: '61 Reissue on the right.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  13. sarge40

sarge40 Member

The SG tenon has to come into the front pickup rout due to the way the neck is connected to the body. The SG neck joint doesn't have as much wood supporting it as a LP does, so the tenon has to go a bit deeper. That tenon is standard SG fare.