Is This A Mullard 6CA7/EL34???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bosstone, May 16, 2008.

1. bosstone

bosstone Member

I have an opportunity to get some tubes that the seller claims are NOS NIB Mullards that are National Electronics labeled. Here is what is on the tubes;

National Electronics
    6CA7/EL34
    Made in E. Germany

They have a single halo getter.
    The logo looks something like a cross hairs with the top line being a "1" and dots horizontally across the middle ant through the right side of the circle
    There is a dimple on top.
    They are straight tubes the same size as the base, not big bottle.

I can get the matched quad for $200.00 and everything is in perfect, like new condition.

Please advise.

2. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Does it say XF4 or XF3 etched in the side in small letters. I have some Amperex like what you describe that have the XF4 and XF3 etching and are Mullards. Never seen the Nationals.

Do you have pictures?

3. tweedcab

tweedcab Supporting Member

Without seeing them, but from the info you posted it's a good chance they are Siemens EL34's. Great tubes, but NOT Mullards. If they are NOS then I wouldn't expect to find Mullards in a MQ for less than about $6-700 or more. Please post pix. BTW, if they are Siemens then $200 is a good price for a truly MQ of NOS EL34's, especially if they have been tested well.

4. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

Made in E. Germany ??.....maybe W. Germany but i've got a bad feeling on those being marked from the East . In my experience buying various GZ34's made by Mullard/Philips I have never seen any in any brand name ever marked EAST Germany , WEST yes .

5. bosstone

bosstone Member

I don't see any etching. If you have an email posted, I will send anyone photos. I haven't set up photo hosting yet.

6. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Country of origin is the least reliable information to judge a tube by. There are so many tubes with fake countries of origins printed on them.

E. Germany is where the famed RFT (known most often as "Siemens") EL34s were manufactured.

The only way to sort this out is to see a photo. If the glass envelope is narrower than the plastic base, there's a dimple on top of the glass, and 4 staples holding each side of the plates together, they are "Siemens" (actually RFT) EL34s.

7. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I just checked my Amperexs say Made in Great Britain on the side and have the XF code.

8. bosstone

bosstone Member

Mike from KCA has identified them as Siemens. Thanks Mike and everyone who helped.

9. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Saw the photos. They are as described above. "Siemens".

Would you buy tubes from someone who can't identify what they are? ;)

10. bosstone

bosstone Member

I was more worried about my not being able to identify what they are. Thanks again for your help Mine and congratulations on your 7,500th post on TGP!!! Tubes for everyone! Let the party begin! Whoopee!

11. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

RFT-made tubes, labeled as "Siemens," are still RFT tubes - not Siemens, not Mullard.

- Thom

12. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Quote from my earlier post:
    "E. Germany is where the famed RFT (known most often as "Siemens") EL34s were manufactured."

13. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Yep! Good ol' Rundfunk- und Fernmelde-Technik. I believe they made their EL34s at Röhrenwerk Mühlhausen - now smack dab in the center of the Federal Republic, in the Free State of Thuringia.

True Siemens production was far away, in Munich.

14. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

The only Siemens labeled EL34s I've seen are RFTs, Mullards, and Teslas. Go figure.