Is this a Tele? (Thorn content)

Lavely

Gold Supporting Member
Here is the guitar in question (BTW - this is NOT my guitar, and I think it is GORGEOUS!!)

Saw this for sale and it got me thinking...I'm really looking for a Thorn right now. Ideally, something with his GT90s, korina or ash or spalted something, trem bridge. I have just started looking, but this is pretty close to the guitar I am seeking (well, except the top, pickups, bridge...), so I have some questions.

This seems pretty close to a JG-type single-cut guitar to me. Set neck, dual humbuckers, not sure on scale length, not sure how the bridge affects tone.

BUT, I'm curious, as I have never played a guitar like this. The body shape looks Tele, but it certainly doesn't have a Tele bridge or Tele pickups, nor is it a bolt-on.

My question - how different from a Tele does it sound? How different from a LP? Tell me about the bridge as well.

Can you tell I'm jonesing for a Thorn?

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member
Ron responds/posts here if I'm not mistaken, so you can probably get the answer from the man himself. Warning, talking directly to him may result in you buying one of his guitars and being Very Happy ;)

Disclaimer: I don't own a Thorn but he's got a few that make me drool and the clips I've heard of his GT90s were ALL THAT ;)

Deven Patel

Ron responds/posts here if I'm not mistaken, so you can probably get the answer from the man himself. Warning, talking directly to him may result in you buying one of his guitars and being Very Happy ;)

Disclaimer: I don't own a Thorn but he's got a few that make me drool and the clips I've heard of his GT90s were ALL THAT ;)
best to contact ron directly.

Crash-VR

Silver Supporting Member
I'm not affiliated (just another Thorn lover), but there's C/S #023 for sale in the Emporium right now. It's Korina with GT-90's and a Thorn trem. It's Gold Green Metallic with matching headstock and Ebony board. There's actually a Guitar Player video and print review of the exact guitar. If I hadn't just bought Rune Prototype #2 in the same color I would be all over this. I just thought I'd mention it since it seems to tick all the boxes for you.

WayneM

Last edited:

Jazzandmore

OP,

As you can see, you came to the right place for "help" ;)

There are three different Thorns in the Emporium, and maybe one of them will light the fire for you. Tell us about it when you decide :D

mslugano

Silver Supporting Member
Here is the guitar in question (BTW - this is NOT my guitar, and I think it is GORGEOUS!!)

Man, all I can say (besides "beautiful guitar") is you sure better have some serious chops to strap that one on in public. BTW, does anyone else see a bunch of blue swimming semen?

Lavely

Gold Supporting Member
Actually, a Tele is the LAST thing I want. I want something closer to an LP, but with its own flavor. Really curious how the different bridges, bolt-on and scale length will affect tones.

spikedog007

Actually, a Tele is the LAST thing I want. I want something closer to an LP, but with its own flavor. Really curious how the different bridges, bolt-on and scale length will affect tones.
You might want to look at the Deluxe 90 rather than the G/T. From what I understand (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), the Deluxe has a carved top and set neck where the G/T is flat with a bolt on neck. However, the Deluxe is a 25" scale, just a bit longer than the typical LP scale.

As many have suggested, you should contact Mr. Thorn. I had some of the same questions and he answered all my questions really fast. Now I just need to save up and get a build going. :)

big mike

Cathode biased

Saw this for sale and it got me thinking...I'm really looking for a Thorn right now. Ideally, something with his GT90s, korina or ash or spalted something, trem bridge. I have just started looking, but this is pretty close to the guitar I am seeking (well, except the top, pickups, bridge...), so I have some questions.

This seems pretty close to a JG-type single-cut guitar to me. Set neck, dual humbuckers, not sure on scale length, not sure how the bridge affects tone.

BUT, I'm curious, as I have never played a guitar like this. The body shape looks Tele, but it certainly doesn't have a Tele bridge or Tele pickups, nor is it a bolt-on.

My question - how different from a Tele does it sound? How different from a LP? Tell me about the bridge as well.

IMO...and i freely admit I'm a thorn homer. If I had the cash, this wouldn't be an option for you, it would be on it's way to me.

It's not a tele, nor does it try to be. It's chambered limba, maple inlaid top with Thorn's fabulous pickups.
A myriad of tones are available thansk to the 3 way series/parellel switch and the 3 way toggle.

It's not a LP. It's not a tele, It's not a PRS.

It's def got Ron's sonic thumbprint on it. Hold a gun to my head, I say it'll be closer to a chambered PRS tone, but it's got so much more happening.
The bridge is rock solid. Sounds awesome. No issues there.
These guitars are just a joy to play, and very inspiring tonally.

When they came out I had the choice between grabbing one of these, and grabbing the Koi Junior 90 (Limba/ Trem/ P90's) that I did grab. I KNEW I'd regret not getting the other no matter which I chose.
My buddy has an orange one of these I get to fondle sometimes. Really really amazing guitars.

Last edited:

fishleehooker

Silver Supporting Member
IMO...and i freely admit I'm a thorn homer. If I had the cash, this wouldn't be an option for you, it would be on it's way to me.

It's not a tele, nor does it try to be. It's chambered limba, maple inlaid top with Thorn's fabulous pickups.
A myriad of tones are available thansk to the 3 way series/parellel switch and the 3 way toggle.

It's not a LP. It's not a tele, It's not a PRS.

It's def got Ron's sonic thumbprint on it. Hold a gun to my head, I say it'll be closer to a chambered PRS tone, but it's got so much more happening.
The bridge is rock solid. Sounds awesome. No issues there.
These guitars are just a joy to play, and very inspiring tonally.

When they came out I had the choice between grabbing one of these, and grabbing the Koi Junior 90 (Limba/ Trem/ P90's) that I did grab. I KNEW I'd regret not getting the other no matter which I chose.
My buddy has an orange one of these I get to fondle sometimes. Really really amazing guitars.
You blatantly want the Black and Silver one too. We know it. If there was a Scarlet and grey one: Game over. Although my problem is the same as yours: I'm always broke or it is bad timing when one of these comes up.

Still, I had the Real Flame for a while, and that thing destroys. Its a heavy sounding guitar, but can do anything else too: very versatile.

Trending Topics