1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this an authentic Klon or no?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Goosio, Jul 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Goosio

Goosio Gold Supporting Member

I purchased this thinking it was the real thing, now I have reason to believe it might be a very faithful replica. I might be able to get a refund if it turns out I've been had but want to see what you all think before I go down that route. Thanks in advance.

https://ibb.co/NrdvT9X
    https://ibb.co/JpkNKKf
    https://ibb.co/MS5rY89

2. ct64394

ct64394 Member

3. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

NO. And how much did you pay for it? Did it come with a "bridge"?

HotBluePlates and Rossi163 like this.
  4. stagolee

stagolee Silver Supporting Member

I’m curious. What’s the give away? I don’t know anything about klon’s other than I don’t really care for the soul food.

Charvel951, Abram4235 and Goosio like this.
  5. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Even if the baseplate had the sticker residue meticulously scrubbed away from where the sticker and feet were supposed to be, a big no no is that there is no serial number in paint marker on the PCB board on the lower left corner. Check out the board on a real one here and see the serial number.

Klon Centaur Professional Overdrive (Gold Horsie), Earlier Example
    https://reverb.com/item/33687550-kl...are&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=33687550

plus look at the back of the pots. All wrong, especially the double ganged pot.

Abram4235, Alan Dunn, Gilky and 2 others like this.
  6. Goosio

It's funny, before I purchased this I googled photos of the Centaur CB and found plenty without the handwritten serial number. I guess those were all counterfeits too? I had no idea there were so many.

7. jaymeister

jaymeister Member

5th to arrive on scene to this car wreck that will become 50 pages!

Sorry for your loss @Goosio

8. Jahn

Yep- head over to reverb and look at the gut pics. All the real ones have serial numbers. If someone tries to convince you otherwise, don’t bother- it’s your money and it’s worth getting a no-question one.
    And the pots are really off.

as a side note, a cute thing he did was paint the serial Number in gold Marker for gold Klons and in silver paint marker for silver klons. You really don’t want to blow a lot of cash without a bit more security.

here is a really clear pic of the guts of my old silver Klon. See the serial number? It’s painted in silver. And the pots look right- look for that look. Another small thing is real ones come with grey battery foam. Yours has black foam. A tiny detail but it doesn’t help with credibility.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  9. ct64394

ct64394 Member

Also note the type of footswitch used, the type of pots, the hexagonal nut on the footswitch (circular on genuine ones). Plus real ones don’t look like they’ve been intentionally rubbed with sandpaper.

10. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

Great pickup about the sandpaper! Man somebody went out of their way on this.

11. jaymeister

jaymeister Member

I wonder if this is the fake one that has been floating around for about 10 years or so? I don’t recall too many that are true attempted forgeries...vs tributes.

Dave Shoop and phractus like this.
  12. Goosio

Yeah I figured that's why I was able to get it at a "good" price. It's funny, I once read an article about a guy who used to make counterfeit Magic: The Gathering cards...he used to damage them intentionally so buyers would look at such a "good" deal with less suspicion. It occurred to me something similar might be happening here but the board looked close enough to my untrained eye.

13. Jahn

Good eye on the Hex nut. Indeed they should come with a round knurled nut.

14. Nick-O

Nick-O Supporting Member

I hope Reverb gives you support, honestly, this stuff is rampant and sickening. It is awesome to have so many knowledgeable guys looking on though!

FXPedal.com, Rod, BenB123 and 3 others like this.
  15. Goosio

Yeah, no. They were no help. Yes, I was outside the return window but I don't think that should apply when the item is counterfeit. Reverb also insisted that they require documentation supporting my claim. I don't know where they imagine such documentation should come from.

Nick-O likes this.
  16. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

It still amazes me how much effort people will put into a scam, but they find it impossible to put effort into an honest job. Dude had to gather parts, do some painting, draw a horseman, etc. But I guess he figured scamming people was in staying true to his character. Sad.

hometechpc, monty, BJJ&Blues and 7 others like this.
  17. Jahn

I would say- look at all your legit postings as documentation. Here is a list of things that are right on them, and things that are wrong on this pedal. I mean, I would even draw arrows to each error and send them that pic. In this thread alone there are three pots, one nut, one board, and even one foam that are all wrong.

18. downburst82

downburst82 Member

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    It only took 33 minutes for you to file a claim and reverb to reject it?

*edit* ok I see you mentioned you're already past return window...when did you start the conversation with reverb though?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  19. Jahn

Just in case folks use this thread in the future, I’ll leave this link here for posterity- a crapload of gut pics of legit Klons. You can use them as references for a game of “which of these is not like the others.”

https://klonserials.wordpress.com/page/5/

Nicko, esns, monty and 16 others like this.
  20. Goosio

I started it today because I learned it was a fake today. My understanding was the return window doesn't apply when the item isn't as described. Shows what I know.