Is this an NOS tube, or have I been had?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by PB+J, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Pelagic

Pelagic Supporting Member

@PB+J My knowledge about NOS is very limited, so I never post in these threads, but I've been following them for about a decade. Timber Wolf and some of the others are truely next level in their knowledge and have been very generous in this thread.

It's probably time for you to make a gesture...they'll likey be generous in the future as well.

InAbsentia and jimpridx like this.
  2. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Your excessive use of quotes is "passive aggressive."

3. IcedEarth

IcedEarth Member

I'll have it looked into, Doc.

InAbsentia and The Whiz like this.
  4. jcs

jcs Member

If you will learn how the 'getter flashing' works (inside the bottle) and understand that the amount and size of flashing varies from one brand/type of tube, you can easily spot worn/thin getter flashing.

I always use a lighted magnifying glass and reading glasses to carefully evaluate the flashing.

The flashing will wear down in size AND thickness after many many hours.....BUT this is no indicator of a good or bad tube in terms of other performance specs (noise, shorts etc).

Bottom line, the tube needs to pass all criteria; mutual conductance and/or transconductance, grid emission and tests for shorts should always be included....finally a live test.

5. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Don't change, man! I think it's awesome as it seemed to wind him up even more.

6. IcedEarth

IcedEarth Member

Well, partly sarcasm, as he went into his rant when he realized how silly his claims were. I truly feel the dealer's pain on this one.

Yes, these threads strike a nerve.. These threads pop up daily, throwing dealers and sellers under the bus, and 99.9% of the time, the OP is unreasonable, uninformed, and totally out in left field. As is the case here.

Toowoombaus and willyboy like this.
  7. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

Though I do agree with your observations as they were presented as such, don't you think giving the man a bit of a slack could smooth things a bit?

Regardless of whether you want to pass on your knowledge or make the life of somebody as misserable as possible you try to not lose their confidence in you. :) You are a wealth of knowledge and it would be a shame to have that pass by those less knowing.