Is this cause for a return?

charliemccarter

Silver Supporting Member
Update: Tom @ Glaser's agreed with the majority here that it was a non-issue. It does need a neck adjustment due to a slight bow but is otherwise fine. Also, Dylan & team at MusicStoreLive were quick to respond & super friendly. Thanks everyone.

Original Post:
hey gang - bought this new & it was delivered yesterday & i love it - today i started to look it over & saw two issues

in a few places (frets 7,8, 21 & 22) the frets are not sitting fully in the slots and there's some sort of glue/substance on the 14th fret - i've pictures here:

http://s149.photobucket.com/user/charliemccarter/library/Mobile%20Uploads

i am not sure if it's anything with which to worry or fine as-is - i have contacted the seller about options but wanted your opinion as well - thanks

Last edited:

jelloman

I can't believe G&L let that out the door like that...did you buy it new?

But, yeah, that's grounds for a return, or at least a warranty correction...

icr

If this is your first guitar with unbound fingerboard you will see that the tangs don't hit the bottom of the slot, so it is appropriately constructed. On a re-fret, look for the tang hitting the bottom of the slot as a sign the frets won't be down all the way.

DamianP

There don`t look to be any gaps between the frets and the board. The gaps between the tang of the frets and the bottom of the slot are normal on many factory guitars and nothing to be concerned about.

The "substance" along the fret looks like superglue used as a normal part of the fretting process. It should have been cleaned up before but as long as the fret is tight down onto the board then it can be cleaned up and should be no problem at all. It`s but a few minutes work.

Unless I`m missing something. There is nothing in the pics that would cause me to return it. What does it sound like?

mockoman

Looks like the tangs aren't long enough to reach the bottom of the slot.
The fret is sitting down on the fretboard,tho.

Can't wait to see what the experts & builders say...

Ah,I'm a slow typer. Mr. P above, answers...

airportbar

The gaps between the tang of the frets and the bottom of the slot are normal on many factory guitars and nothing to be concerned about.
Just curious but why would some of the frets have gaps and the others not? Did they cut the slots too deep in some?

charliemccarter

Silver Supporting Member
So far, sounds great. Have also noticed that the bass knob of the PTB is "tighter" than the vol/treble knobs. Guessing I can loosen that up to sweep just like the other two, correct?

S. S. Bender

There don`t look to be any gaps between the frets and the board. The gaps between the tang of the frets and the bottom of the slot are normal on many factory guitars and nothing to be concerned about.

The "substance" along the fret looks like superglue used as a normal part of the fretting process. It should have been cleaned up before but as long as the fret is tight down onto the board then it can be cleaned up and should be no problem at all. It`s but a few minutes work.

Unless I`m missing something. There is nothing in the pics that would cause me to return it. What does it sound like?
I agree with this assessment. No need to return the guitar. Play this one and enjoy it.

XmasTree

those frets are in as far as they're going to go
..but the slots are a little deeper
plus there's some glue that came out

those are the facts

clearly you are picky and have already made up your mind

charliemccarter

Silver Supporting Member
not true - haven't made up my mind at all & not overtly picky - just curious as i've not had this on a new instrument before - sincerely asking for advice on whether or not to return or keep

Trending Topics