• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Is this change in price normal? Amazon related....

5F6-A

I was so happy when I saw that Amazon had started selling my favourite set of strings for my Strat in E flat (i.e. GHS 10 to 38 Boomers). Roughly £4.50 a set.
A couple of days ago I put an order but did not finish ordering as I wanted to check if I needed anything else first. No big deal, I thought.
Today, the price has increased significantly.

ghs.JPG

Is it normal for Amazon to do stuff like that? If they stay at that price, I'll switch to Newtone. Same construction, probably better materials, cheaper and handmade here in the UK. You can choose your custom sets at no extra cost...

Last edited:

jturner

yeah, algorithms play all sorts of games with product pricing. Just wait 'till you see an old textbook jump from $10 or $12.00 to $40,000 -- it's just algorithms running the show.

I bought some $2000 equipment and the vendor refused to honor the price. I think they just changed their mind. Amazon basically told me "tough luck. We'll request a refund for you." So amazon acts like it's no longer a market, but more like a shopping mall owner/landlord, not responsible for the actions of those "independent" sellers.

If they aren't careful, they'll turn into a third-world bazaar like "feebay" (eBay). Some say they are there now.

5F6-A

yeah, algorithms play all sorts of games with product pricing. Just wait 'till you see an old textbook jump from $10 or $12.00 to $40,000 -- it's just algorithms running the show.

I bought some $2000 equipment and the vendor refused to honor the price. I think they just changed their mind. Amazon basically told me "tough luck. We'll request a refund for you." So amazon acts like it's no longer a market, but more like a shopping mall owner/landlord, not responsible for the actions of those "independent" sellers.

If they aren't careful, they'll turn into a third-world bazaar like "feebay" (eBay). Some say they are there now.
Great insight... thank you. I wasn't aware that prices are dictated by algorithms. That explains a lot....

AgentDouble

This happens all the time. When the algorithm detects you are about to buy something, prices strangely increases itself. :dunno

5F6-A

I think the algorithm has noticed that the "Hendrix" gauge is gaining some popularity and it wants to cash in...

jnovac1

Silver Supporting Member
This happens all the time. When the algorithm detects you are about to buy something, prices strangely increases itself. :dunno
or decrease, i’ve played that before. left an item in the cart for a couple of weeks, checked on it several times until they gave up and lowered the price.

Nevets

Saw a Behringer Super Fuzz for $40 cad on a Thursday night. Thought, "oh I get paid tomorrrow, I'll buy it then". Friday morning, $45.

woolyh

Before I buy anything on Amazon I always check price trackers like: https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/

Lets you see the price history for low prices and fluctuations. Plus on some occasions I've found the price offered to me isn't the same as what's offered to others.

Unfortunately Amazon "asked" the sites (who rely on Amazon referral links) to stop tracking data after the virus lockdown so there are large gaps in data since March.

Gee, I wonder why they didn't want people to track prices during the lockdown... :rolleyes:

5F6-A

I guess the best approach is not to be hasty and wait until you have a good price and then buy it. Obviously, such approach involves valuable time so... it might end up being counterproductive. It'd be difficult to outsmart Amazon.

Vhailor

Silver Supporting Member
I'm wondering if at least part of the price fluctuations are not due to changes in the various currency exchange rates. That could account for quite a bit of change.

Last edited:
We could take this even further. Why not charge the guy with the iPhone more than the guy with the cheaper Samsung phone? Why not charge the guy that lives in a wealthier part of the city more than the guy from downtown? Brave New World :)

Vhailor

Silver Supporting Member
We could take this even further. Why not charge the guy with the iPhone more than the guy with the cheaper Samsung phone? Why not charge the guy that lives in a wealthier part of the city more than the guy from downtown? Brave New World :)

While what you describe does not obtain in the real world, there are many computer programs that vary in price in a country-dependent manner. MS Windows is a good example, but another example would be (or was, at any rate) SwarPlug, which is much cheaper in India, compared to what it costs for someone in the USA.

And, now that I think about it, some software varies it price in a platform-dependent manner: at least in the past, a Mac version would, at least for some software, be more expensive than a Windows version. (I can't recall any specific examples right now, but I am quite sure I have seen it in the past.)

Of course, all this is quite orthogonal to the original post.

De Batz

I've bitten the bullet on the Newtones. One set fitted so far (12-54, old school!) sound superb on a strat. They're the 'twangy' ones.

I've got a couple of sets of my usual 10-52 in round and hex core, that's the next set of guitadmin jobs to fit those.

Made in Tansley. I used to work at Bakewell, so it's somewhere I know of (one of my work mates had a farm near there). Not that any of that guarantees the product, but it does make me feel like spending £8 a set is justified that little bit more...

Trending Topics