is this crazy??? mounting a rack unit underneat PT-Pro??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by re-animator, Apr 22, 2008.

1. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

well?? I'm really feeling like I need both the TC Nova Delay and Reverb now.... but together they cost more than a TC GMajor on its own. I could pick up a small (maybe 3-button) footswitch for a few bucks to handle switching, plus I'll have all the other effects at my fingers should I want them (though I wouldn't normally use them).

I mean a G-Major really makes sense with my rig. I have a lot of high quality analog effects up front, and I'd love to have a single digital unit in my FX loop for delay and verb (with an analog delay out front). Unfortunately it makes no sense for me to have 1 rack unit and have it as a major PAIN IN THE ASS to carry around to gigs and such on top of my large pedalboard.

So what are my options.... can I mount a G-Major underneath?? I'm pretty handy and I think I can fab something provided that it fits and there are no dangers in doing this.

well??

2. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

It could be easily done if you raise the level of the board via larger feet. You could actually weld on an extension for the feet when you do the metalwork for the rack space. If you do it right, the rack unit will provide just as much support as the metal bar and youll be fine.

3. re-animator

cool coool. I was thinking drill/brackets for the rack unit, but welding works.

I'm thinking I'll only need a 3-5 switcher. Maybe even a behringer "if it breaks just throw it away" footswitch, but something nice and compact that can have me switch from Reverb only, Reverb + Delay, and Pitch Shift, or Leslie effect.

4. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

I just ditched all my time-based pedals (two delays, chorus, flange, tremolo) and replaced them with a rackmount unit - a Lexicon Vortex, zip-tied to the top of my PT2. I have the Vortex switches (momentaries, not midi) velcro'd to the top, and the expression pedal off to the side. If you were to use a midi unit instead, you could probably get a MIDI Mouse or some other small midi switcher.

It's working really well so far. The Vortex is basically designed to have two programs available at once and "morph" between them, and I don't use more than two configurations for any songs, so I just have all my effects configurations programmed in, and hand-switch between songs.

5. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

as far as i'm concerned, that idea borders on really excellent. . .

as picard used to say. . .

MAKE IT SO.

6. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

i'd like to see some pics when you're done. assuming you give it a try.

7. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

That sounds great. I have a Nova System, but if I go back to pedals, that is what I will do.

8. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

I am about to pull the trigger on a pedalboard case (got the softcase originally with my Pedaltrain Pro), which would allow me to simply "lift the top", and also have an access panel for another rack module below. If others were interested I can certainly see if the case builder would do more.

9. re-animator

This is seriously cool... .could you take/share some pics??

I think I might be giving this a try provided that I get the rest of my pedals in order. :banana

10. Dandy13

Dandy13 Member

Yes, let us know how it turns out. I'd like to know if there is a way to stick my fx500 under there before i pull the trigger on a pedaltrain.

11. kludge

:worthless

I'll try to get a pic tonight, now that I feel my board is somewhat stabilized...

12. stratotone

stratotone Silver Supporting Member

I mounted my wireless reciever (1/2 rack space) under my pedaltrain pro. I also bought some larger 'feet' from Home Depot and used gee-normous metal screws to attach them to the higher end, so it gave more clearance and also more angle. Worked fine, I may try this since I have a Gmajor sitting in a rack and I hate taking an entire rack enclosure just for one piece. I bet you could find something at home depot to attach a one rack unit under the pro - if not, I used black zip ties to hold my reciever. Only bad thing I can think of is that any tweakery of your G-major settings is going to be a bitch from under the board!

Pete

13. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

I have a Furman Rack mount distro for power and filtering under my board.. Adds an extra 14 lbs though..

14. re-animator

so no problems with heat or anything??

I'm thinking I want to fab something that is easily removable for tweaking, and so I can just quickly attach it for gigs and jams.

15. gregovertone

gregovertone Member

couldn't you put it on top of the board?

you could put pedals on the rack, as a shelf.

16. re-animator

but then you'd be stepping on the rack :messedup

17. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

its really inside the board mounted up underneath, I have a fan inside the base now to take care of the heat,

I had very unique needs for power on my board.

I ended up putting the distro in because that seemed to be my only solution for powering 14 pedals, 2 amps & a lamp, I have AUX power jacks on the side 4 of them, then 4 wall warts, 3 moog, 1 for the mesa v-twin, then the Dunlop dc brick took care of power for the rest of the pedals.. Everything said and done I regret putting it all together , weights 85 lbs , 105 inside the ata case. probably 20-25 lbs of weight would be eliminated if I could just put the rest into a 2nd piece * which I'm currently working on* probably gonna do a dual pedalboard setup with a power rack using Camera CCU multicable for the power sends. Kind of a 1 wire solution for powering 8 things at once..

[​IMG]

18. kludge

Here's a crappy cell phone pic of the board...

[​IMG]

Note the footswitches on TOP of the Vortex. Those are the A/B, tap tempo, and bypass switches (the Vortex is non-midi). The pedal off to the right of the board is an expression pedal for the Vortex, which can be assigned to almost any parameter. Right now, I'm only using it for controlling the morph between two sounds for one song in particular, but I'll put it to more use in the future. Note that I tap VERY lightly on these pedals! They're not meant for abuse. The Vortex itself is held in place mostly with zip ties, although there's some velcro on the bottom to keep it from shifting, too.

To the left, you can see a One Spot and the Lexicon power supply plugged into a power strip, powering everything. The rackmount device not on the board isn't part of my normal signal chain... it just happens to be in the photo at the moment (it's actually an Alesis compressor)

The rest of the pedals are (in signal order, not board order):
    ZVex Mammoth -> Bad Monkey -> Prescription Electronics Germ -> Keeley-modded Rat -> VP Jr -> Vortex -> amp. There's also a Fender tuner hanging from the tuner out of the VP Jr. I'm probably going to tweak the order of things a bit, move a wah to the board, and pull the volume offboard, but I'm pretty close to happy with this setup. I have tremendous flexibility with my dirty tones, and the Germ serves as a permanent clean buffer for the low-impedance input of the Vortex (although I'll probably add another tiny buffer someday).

19. re-animator

oooh, i really like this. It puts the display and dials into useable but unobstructive positions on the board. I think I might get some brackets and a piece of sheet metal so there is a slight amount of space between the bracket/shelf/plane and the rack unit so as not to damage it. I think that would be both strong and practical.

20. rdba

rdba Member

Are you serious? well i bought a g-major about 2 years ago for my rack...
    that wasn't worth the money...buy the novas !!!

G-major sucks tone...if you buy such a multi effect buy a g-force!!