Is this custom made guitar a lost cause? can it be fixed?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by EJTenor, Sep 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmartAlex

SmartAlex Supporting Member

Sorry about the guitar. Hope it works out. I agree with the person that said to file a dispute with the credit card company. They’ll make it right.

Just curious, if you needed something fast and didn’t have a lot to spend, why didn’t you just buy a used tenor on Reverb? Seems like they have a few in the $500 range.

2. larry1096

larry1096 Member

I just left a comment on his video with a pointer to the Gear Page, suggesting folks research before ordering.

Let's see if it's still there later today. ;)

Larry

3. dansworld

dansworld Member

It's time to call your attorney.

4. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    He may have been building guitars for 40 years, but how many has he made in that time?...yours and which other one?

I stopped going to small luthiers as there has always been a problem buried somewhere in the transaction, unless we are talking about D'Pergo, Yaron, or someone with their outstanding reputation, of which there are many, world-wide.

If a builder copped an attitude with me while I was buying, I would walk on them. You are there to buy something, which should be an enjoyable experience. No guitar is worth being insulted or treated improperly while trying to offer money to the luthier. F him!

Ymmv, of course. :)

JackD and Abram4235 like this.
  5. jturner

jturner Member

Very neat guitar! But while it's obvious amateur work quality, it's almost surely fixable:
    1) the pickguard will need to be remade from scratch. Not a big deal. but the one installed is very, very poorly made.
    2) check the wiring. wrong value cap? wrong potentiometers? It has to be something big -- a short scale guitar like that is typically too bright, if anything.
    3) getting the strings over the pickup poles should help with muddy / dead notes.
    4) action: adjust the truss rod for a flat neck, seat the frets (i see several that are not fully seated), level and dress, adjust the string height at nut, set the saddle height. Restring, set intonation.

Don't let this stress you out too much. It would take a day to get it right. And it's going to be loads of fun when it is all sorted out eventually!

Happy 30th birthday. that's worth more than any old guitar.

6. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

There is another one of this brand up on Reverb at the moment. Apparently all the experienced builders use dollar-store tuners.

Vintage_ likes this.
  7. Frater B

Frater B Silver Supporting Member

His reply

Hi from, Mike. First off the buyer that started all this – Bought the guitar and listed it on Reverb for $995.00 – They paid $500.00 – When it did not sell – 10 Days latter – They then asked for a return – But in the very first return request – They threatened me that they would [ If you do not agree to a return then I will be forced to write reviews, create posts on forums, and possibly a video highlighting the flaws and poor quality of the instrument. In the hopes that others become aware of your shotty craftsmanship and choices in making a poor quality build. ] Do to this – And only do to this – I refused to take it back – Then latter found it on Reverb – With no mention of any problems with it in his listing - In 27 or so years of selling on line – I have never refused a refund to a buyer of a Guitar till this – Please try to fine one other buyer that I refused to send a refund to – In fact I have had some buyers ask for parts that did not hold up years latter – And If I had it in the shop – I would send it at no charge to them – Back in 1992 till around 2005 – We did made or have others make guitar lines that were not very cosmetically correct – But they were all good players – And priced right at the time – Many of them are still around today – And when listed – Sell for much more then we first sold them for - This was a rush order from a buyer that was a bit off to start with – It is all hand made – The one in the video – We also pointed out on the Video that the pick guard was a bit off – That was sent to the buyer – As to all the other stuff – First let me say that the buyer wanted the guitar set up with strings that were much to light for his tuning – And would not work properly for that tuning – So I sent the guitar with the proper strings needed – The first thing he did was change them – Making the guitar sound under tuned – There is nothing wrong with the neck – I personally Fretted it – And leveled the frets – As to the complaint that the fret eds stick out – Well the guitar was made the weekend of the hurricane on the east cost – Cold and damp – Sent to the west cost were it was dry and hot – It is call Shrinkage of the wood – Should be expected – And an easy fit – The pickups are fine – Potted Single coil -I cleaned the pots and switch – As show in the video – No noise – Great sound – The bridge is a factory made one that is fully adjustable – Nothing wrong with it – The finish is not that of a $2,000.00 Guitar – 3 Coat with a primer sealer – Finishes are more then fine – The only problem with the guitar was pointed out on the video – The guard was a bit off – But it was also a rush job – We hand router our pick guards with a 45 Angel – As this shows the stripe better – Most use a 22 Angel – That is more forgiving – Some say it only takes 10 Min. To make a Pick Guard – But it takes hours to first make the jig – Then a lot more time to re scrap every little chatter from the routed on a custom made one by hand – I did not think it was a big deal at all – Sorry if some do – It was only a $500.00 Custom made guitar – I do not think that there are many builders that would build and sell one like this for this price – As show in the video – The guitar was more then fine – I would have gladly taken a return if the buyer was pleasant about it – I do not mind bad comments or suggestion – As long as they are presented properly – Not as a threat – I have all the buyers emails if any one would like to see them – All my custom guitar came with a return privilege – Always have in the past 27 Years – But not after you toy with the guitar – List it on another site – And then threaten me – Sorry – NO – Thank You – Mike Soares -

McShred likes this.
  8. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Member

Seller is full of it.

magnus02 and Vintage_ like this.
  9. LolainNB

LolainNB Member

No need for attorneys. Like others say. Just file claim with credit card co.

10. rickt

rickt Gold Supporting Member

I can understand not putting more money into it, but perhaps you should get an objective assessment from a trusted luthier. You could then offer up that critique to the builder and see he'll do a partial refund to offset any costs for correcting the build.

11. rootsrockray

rootsrockray Supporting Member

So you bought it for $500, weren't happy with it at that price, and proceed to list it for re-sale at $995 ?

If someone bought an item from me, then asked to return it (for defects), while also having listed it for sale at 2x the original sale price.... gotta admit I would be a bit perturbed.

Cant defend that shoddy craftsmanship, but you might have gotten further taking a different approach with the seller/builder.

Make the best out of a bad situation and use this as an opportunity to learn to do fretwork!

Lots of good U tubes on the subject and the tools are not cost prohibitive.

I bet you could get it playing decently without spending too much.

woof*, Sam Sherry, Antmax and 2 others like this.
  12. singlecutarmy

singlecutarmy Member

Sounds like OP is a Karen at the grocery store.

AustinIsPresent and McShred like this.
  13. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

Return it
    Dispute Payment
    It's not that hard

14. stonem

stonem Member

Make a new PG. This will fix the pole alignment issue and generally make it look better. Then get a fret job done. Pg is easy to make if u know someone with a bandsaw and router. The fret job is cheap. Where are u located? Maybe one of us could help u out?

15. milli vanilli

milli vanilli Member

So the buyer lists it for sale for more than he originally paid knowing it has flaws and the builder admits it was a rush job?? These 2 deserve each other lol.

esowden, woof*, Markdude and 8 others like this.
  16. indeedido

indeedido Supporting Member

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Your credit card company is your best friend. Call them and dispute it. You'll get your money back 100%.

Ron likes this.
  17. Frater B

Frater B Silver Supporting Member

PayPal dispute......

You're Protected If:
    Report it within 60 days and PayPal will investigate. You will be covered by our $0 Liability for Eligible Unauthorized Transactions program. All you have to do is log in to your account and open a dispute to get the refund process started.

PayPal works hard to resolve claims within 30 days, but most are resolved much quicker. Some unique claims may require more time, but the average resolution timeframe for a Claim is 10-14 days. If you have resolved your dispute or claim with your buyer you can close it.

18. FokenBusker

FokenBusker Member

He can't legally refuse to refund the OP just because he doesn't like them as a person. His attempt at a moral justification, regardless of what he presented in his response on Youtube, wouldn't float if you put a life jacket on it.

Abram4235 and Vintage_ like this.
  19. Dr.Picklebottom

Dr.Picklebottom Member

thats too many repairs for a single guitar plus its very possible its still going to suck. cut your loses and get something else. youre going to end up w the equivalent of one of those blues jrs w $2k worth of mods that ends up getting sold for what $300 bc its a blues jr.

write an honest and brutal review including his terrible attitude and threat and walk away.

Abram4235 and FokenBusker like this.
  20. Corius

Corius Silver Supporting Member

I don't think either party comes out of this particularly well. Imagine if you'd bought the $500 lemon for $995! Would the OP give you a refund?

I wouldn't like to do business with either of them.

esowden, Abram4235, woof* and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.