Is this Gibson Les Paul Studio worth it?

g335

Hello

I have a chance to buy a '92 Les Paul Studio in red. The previous owner change one of the volume pots to a push switch. Also the previous owner changed out the original pickups to a seymore duncun and something else. The owner removed the toggle switch completely.

The body has lots of little worn marks,its beat up, so missing paint around the top rear bout of the guitar and there are not any rash marks on the back but there are small nicks and dents and dings everywere on the front, back, head stock, etc.

The store wants 500 dollars for it. Is this a good buy?

I will have to replace the one pot(I checked and all of the other orignal pots are there.), the toggle switch, the ring around the toggle switch, the pickup rings and the pickups.

Is this better than some of the newer low end Les Pauls out now and better than the epiphones?

james...

Have you played it?

I have played some Studios that were steals for $500 and I have played some that were absolute dogs I wouldn't pay $200 for.

jcarpenter

Gold Supporting Member
I would pull the trigger. You could end with 500 in a crappy epi just trying to improve the tone. At least it's a real gibby. So yes it's better than most epi's. Except maybe the elitist models.

Also depends on what you want to spend. If you want a new studio, it will be more than double the price.

g335

I would pull the trigger. You could end with 500 in a crappy epi just trying to improve the tone. At least it's a real gibby. So yes it's better than most epi's. Except maybe the elitist models.

Also depends on what you want to spend. If you want a new studio, it will be more than double the price.
New ones cost too much.

naveed211

Have you played it?

I have played some Studios that were steals for $500 and I have played some that were absolute dogs I wouldn't pay $200 for.
This times a million. Studios vary widely in quality. A lot of Gibsons do, IMO. Even between playing four exact same models of Les Paul at the same store this weekend, only one of them was "special."

In this case, definitely try before you buy or make sure they have a good return policy.

g335

This times a million. Studios vary widely in quality. A lot of Gibsons do, IMO. Even between playing four exact same models of Les Paul at the same store this weekend, only one of them was "special."

In this case, definitely try before you buy or make sure they have a good return policy.
The pickups are not stock and they messed with one of the volume pots replacing it with some kind of push pot and there is no toggle switch. Kind of hard to test it. any suggestions?

PunkKitty

Silver Supporting Member
It sounds like it needs to be rewired to get the toggle switch back and get rid of the funky pots. If you like it, then go for it. But add in the costs of rewiring the guitar.

You can get a good used Gibson Faded Studio LP for < $500 that doesn't need to be rewired. Don't feel compeled to buy a guitar just because it's a Gibson at a low price. When you add in the costs of repairs it might not be that much of a bargain.

The fact that you are asking us what we think tells me that you aren't sold on it. I'd pass on this one and find one that you really like.

supergenius365

Silver Supporting Member
My 2004 Studio was $550 stock. If you like the guitar, I would go for it but offer less. A pickup change is one thing. Removing the switch is a structural change which, IMO, decreases the value.

wilder

Why do you assume you will need to replace the pickups? They might be a great match for the guitar.

robertkoa

Have you played it?

Yes .

I played some Studios at Sam Ash a few years Ago and the quality was all over the
place.

None sounded or played as well as a good Les Paul UNTIL I played the Bonamassa

Studio which was extremely good IMO.

Also many really experienced Players have those older Studios as their Number 1

not because of cost, some of those 90s Studios are just excellent Guitars , period.

So maybe a more experienced Player can check this one out for you, see if it's worth it
?

jrmgtrplyr

$500 dollars is usually a good deal on a used studio. They usually run $500-800 all day on the used market. However, Unless the mods on the guitar are to your liking, I would skip it. If you have to put pots and switches and maybe change pickups the cost will be the same in the end as a clean used studio. If you like the mods get it. I would offer less than $500 and see if they take it based on all the mods, but if you want a clean used studio wait and one will pop up close to that price if you look hard enough.

73Fender

Google the early 90s Studios..some really great ones out there..that is a good time for Gibson in general. With the work it needs and assuming it plays well, offer a little less or wait for a nicer one. There is a 92 on the Jersey Shore CL,,if you're in the area..

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
The studio to get is the one with the maple top. Then your in poor mans Les Paul territory. Mine has the maple top and I had it setup and frets leveled. Plays wonderfully. Pickups? I have Frailin pure PAF's. With these improvements the guitar is on another level than a stock one and especially the ones with no maple top. I am contemplating strippin the finish to unleash a bit more tone and resonance.

Trending Topics