Is this Les Paul fake?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tommygunn1986, Aug 10, 2019.

1. ESW.

ESW. Member

I've always wondered how many vintage instruments he scratched up at Norman's wearing that jacket.

2. porcytree

porcytree Member

Fake.

Looks pretty close to the real deal though.

I only really picked up on the pick up height adjusting screws - Gibson don't use Phillips Head screws.

3. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

You mean wings?

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  4. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

But…they're experts!

5. Da Geezer

Da Geezer Supporting Member

Sorry, but it doesn’t take an expert to spot THAT fake

Jabberwocky likes this.
  6. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

I guarantee you, I could take a brand new R9, change out the knobs and/or TRC, maybe the pickguard, etc., take some pictures from “distorted angles” and post them, only to receive many of the same observations/comments shown here. People are all to quick to holler “fake”, and then the mob mentality wolf pack syndrome kicks in.

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

What's your point? That one's really obvious

Jabberwocky and Da Geezer like this.
  8. Da Geezer

Yes @skydog , that one IS fake....
    So your argument is that we shouldn’t help someone avoid getting scammed when it is so obviously wrong?
    Not going to be agreeing with that one o_O

Jabberwocky likes this.
  9. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

My point/argument is that there is a lot of self-appointed experts around the forums that wouldn't know a fake if it bit them on the arse, but are quick to pack up and pop off about their reasoning: the TRC, knobs, tuners, etc. that are the very easiest to replace. Knob placement is one thing, knob style another. Same with tuners; I saw an ad recently where the guy swapped out the factory Klusons for Grovers (leaving the obvious empty screw hole), and a couple of George Gruhn wannabes started calling it a fake, based on that! Read the comments on here and see how many voiced their opinion on the presence of these easily swapped out items, vs. irreversible features.

10. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Helping avoid a scam is fine. Just be genuinely correct and knowledgeable about citing the deviations. Two fakes do not make real.

hunter

11. sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister Member

That's not even a good fake.

Jabberwocky likes this.
  12. SgtThump

SgtThump Supporting Member

I agree. However, this one is really super duper obvious.

Jabberwocky likes this.
  13. Vanyu

Vanyu Member

Headstocks too tall. The tail of the “G” should be at the same level as the top tuners. That’s the one thing they conisistently seem to mess up on every fake I’ve come across.

14. Brad8008135

Brad8008135 Member

15. onemoretime

onemoretime Member

What about having the guitar in my metaphysical presence? If I play it believing it is a Gibson, does it cease to exist as a copy, or does it still exist but in a changed way?

16. CosmicCowboy

CosmicCowboy Supporting Member

They're not real Grovers.

17. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Member

The shape of the horn is wrong. The attitude of the horn is wrong. The shape of the cutaway is wrong. The Gibson logo has the wrong font, width of the letters, wrong material, angle and position of logo. This fake logo is so crude you gotta blind not to be able to see it. The openbook headstock is obviously wrong; the sweep of the moustache, the sides, the proportions. The proportions of the sides stand in relation to each other; even with keystone effects of a camera lens you can still tell that they are wrong. The transition from the neck to the back of the headstock is wrong. The headstock angle is wrong.

There are other aspects that gave it away but need we go on to establish that it is a fake.

Those who cast doubts on others ability to tell that it is a fake have merely shown that they are the clueless ones. Just admit that you do not know instead of alluding that those who call it a fake are BS-ing. The seller has been hoping to find a rube like you all but unfortunately found us instead. OP did well to ask. I don't consider myself an expert but I do own over 30 Gibson guitars currently, from 1939 to 2014 so, yes, I know a little to spot a bad fake from the real thing. I have 8 R9s and 1 R4. Been looking at them things long enough to note that something is off with that fake. Yes, I am the kind of fellow who notices when someone comes in and moves my stuff on my desk a little.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  18. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Member

This statement tells me that you are clueless about a Gibson Les Paul. The ones who can fake it well are the replica makers like Gil Y and Tom B who charge more than Gibson does for the favour.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  19. CowTipton

CowTipton Member

Da Geezer and Jabberwocky like this.
  20. Da Geezer

Hey guys… Shhhhhhsh, be quiet… You’re not supposed to say anything unless your name is George Gruhn

;)

Jabberwocky likes this.