• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Is this Les Paul Jr legit or am I getting scammed (CL content)

billboneys

Silver Supporting Member
Well the ad doesn't say Gibson Les Paul. If I had a non fender strat I'd still call it a strat. I'm assuming it's not a Gibson but does have a Gibson logo. A lot of ebay auctions are this way. They don't show the headstock. Not sure Gibson is scanning local CL ads looking for fakes (although Agnessi may be) but that may be his reasoning.

Otter351

Pickguard is wrong on many levels (screw holes, pointy horn, overall shape is wrong). Tuners are chrome. Output jack is chrome. Lightning bolt bridge is not factory, back of bridge should be flat. Ebony board (which I doubt is ebony). Biggest giveaway on those copies is the thick thick plasticy finish. Some of those things may be found on special runs, but with all things considered, do your local players a favor flag the listing. I did

A_F

Seems whonky to me - no Headstock picture is the first thing - the double screws at the bottom is the second. And if it's a 2011 or newer - they normally are more than $1K - and one other thing - the color is more gold than TV Yellow. I'm thinking a Chibson.

Here is a real one to compare.

View attachment 261858
If you compare the shape of the pickguard in relation to the pup, it's not right. The position of the knobs doesn't look right, either - lower than in this pic.

As others have said - why would a seller refuse to send you headstock pics? Not only does this seem like a scam, but I would just stay away in case the guy's a psycho.

Family Man

Silver Supporting Member
That's not a Gibson. The seller is being deceitful, either intentionally or unintentionally (I'm guessing intentionally). I would not go to that meeting.

The best case scenario would be you see a Chinese, Korean, or Indonesian LP Junior copy. The worst case is this guy has bad intentions with the prospective buyer.

FWIW - Looks like a low level Tokai or Epiphone to me.

66fuzz

Gold Supporting Member
It all should've ended as soon as he refused to take pictures of the headstock.
Some sketchy peeps out there for sure but also paranoid ones too. Like covering serials or plate numbers when buying a vehicle. Sometimes ya never know lol.

mabinogeon

A really hoopy frood.
Gold Supporting Member
If I had a dollar for every local CL ad that says something like "GIBSON Les Paul" in the title, but then the details in the ad say "Epiphone by GIBSON" I'd have several dollars.

EDIT: Ha! There's one live right now:

sg.JPG

Last edited:

Urobouros

Double Platinum Member
Refusing to send pics is a subtle clue to their intent. Like walking into a bank with a ski mask, shotgun & large, empty bag with $$$ on it. I'd rather miss out on a good deal than any of the more likely outcomes :eek:

66fuzz

Gold Supporting Member
Asking $399 for a Gibson LP Jr tells me all I need to know.
Not always but yes, the majority of the time it's likely! My buddy has more money and gear than he knows what to do with and sells stuff constantly at a loss. He sold me a Custom Shop Tele for 900 bucks and I flipped for 2200 when I realized the neck profile wasn't right for me lol. I've seen him sell 1959 RR head mint for 1250, Marshll handwired 100 watt head for 600, Les Paul Tiger burst Custom Shops (3) all for 2k etc. etc. Ridiculous I know but true.

Others these days could be just desperate for cash with the virus etc... there are good deals out there but sometimes you have to wade through the BS to score 'em! :)

ColdFrixion

It's one thing if the guy is offering a great deal on a great guitar, but refusing to take a picture of the headstock is a dead giveaway it's too good to be true, especially for someone who may "need the money". If it's actually legit, he's just being stupid.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom