Is this Les Paul Jr legit or am I getting scammed (CL content)

Flogger59

Did you ask about the screws? Is he actually claiming it's an "authentic Gibson" or what?
Authentic and genuine have different meanings. Authentic means it might pass inspection (authentication), but genuine is the real deal.

The Polaris submarines that one could buy from the back pages of a comic book when I was a kid were "authentic" and far from "genuine".

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
Seems whonky to me - no Headstock picture is the first thing - the double screws at the bottom is the second. And if it's a 2011 or newer - they normally are more than $1K - and one other thing - the color is more gold than TV Yellow. I'm thinking a Chibson.

Here is a real one to compare.

View attachment 261858
Won't share photos of the headstock? HUGE red flag. He either suspects it's a fake or knows it. If the headstock looked legit, there'd be a photo of it in the ad.
Yup... stay away.. Also, there’s only 3 screws in LP Junior pickguards. Looks like something Dillion would have made in China. Worth about $250.... maybe

jrowan

Obviously moot at this point, but it also looks a bit to me like it's a black plastic nut?

I could MAYBE see that price on a 2015 LP Jr., since that year is definitely less beloved and can get pretty cheap (although I'm not sure I've seen one on Reverb for less than $5-600 and even that was well below average)- if someone was really desperate for a quick sale, it's not completely insane.

All that said, if you refuse to send a headstock pic, you might as well just send an e-mail that says "this is fake".

Vcaster

I’m set to meet the guy today but there are some red flags. The super low price as well as the fact that I can’t find any LP jr pics where the pickguard has two screws on the bottom. What do y’all think? Screamin’ deal, or scam? Thanks!

”... 10 out of 10 ...”
:rotflmao

The Polaris submarines that one could buy from the back pages of a comic book when I was a kid were "authentic" and far from "genuine".
Did you get one or know someone who did? As a boy, I always wanted one of those.

After I grew up some, like, became a teenager :crazy I‘d still come across the ads in old copies of “Richie Rich,” and figured the “Polaris submarine” was just a dumb cardboard cutout dealy. Or something.

Last edited:

Beauchamp

Everything that can be seen is wrong, looks like a bad Chinese copy, so you did the right thing not to bite.

Flogger59

”... 10 out of 10 ...”
:rotflmao

Did you get one or know someone who did? As a boy, I always wanted one of those.

After I grew up some, like, became a teenager :crazy I‘d still come across the ads in old copies of “Richie Rich,” and figured the “Polaris submarine” was just a dumb cardboard cutout dealy. Or something.
Let's just say that they were their own shipping carton.

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
Don't bother it's not a Gibson. He won't show the headstock. First red flag

Pickguard shape looks to be wrong.

Crappy pics. Looks like a CL scam.

When you find out it's not a Gibson he will try to talk you into buying it.

I would not even waste my time talking/email with the seller.
This. It's not a Gibson. If you can get it for cheap $$, it may be OK, but don't fall for any BS stories about being real.

bluejazzoid

Silver Supporting Member
Authentic and genuine have different meanings. Authentic means it might pass inspection (authentication), but genuine is the real deal.

Heh, I do know the difference -- I was referring to the stupid Gibson "Play Authentic" debacle last year.

Squarehammer

I’m set to meet the guy today but there are some red flags. The super low price as well as the fact that I can’t find any LP jr pics where the pickguard has two screws on the bottom. What do y’all think? Screamin’ deal, or scam? Thanks!

It's a fake. Too many red flags. Someone said the pick guard looks off. It is. Look at the pic of the real one. the pick-guard almost touches the pu. On the "yours" it's no where near it. The bridge doesn't look right. It doesn't seem to have enough of that tune-o-matic angle to it. But the biggest flag, next to the fact it's so cheap, is he won't show you head-stock pics. He knows it's a fake and is hoping you're not smart enough to tell. Run from this.

Geetarpicker

If there is any chance it’s a Gibson, he probably doesn’t want to post any pics of the back of the headstock because it’s stolen and the serial number is perhaps already known by the the cops. There is NO good reason he can’t post headstock pics, so the deal is off in my book. As others say....RUN AWAY

63blazer

It looks like a copy but may still be a great guitar. The only exactly Gibson looking copy I would look at is a Kris Derrig but other than that pass.

jthomas666

Let's just say that they were their own shipping carton.

Kutch

It's one thing if the guy is offering a great deal on a great guitar, but refusing to take a picture of the headstock is a dead giveaway it's too good to be true, especially for someone who may "need the money". If it's actually legit, he's just being stupid.
Its not a dead give away. Some people dont have time, some may be out of town and away from their gear, some may not like the like the idea of being run around by the buyer.

Youre making assumptions based on a picture, and the dis regard for the seller to do everything you tell him to do. If you want the guitar go see it. Its that simple. If a person cant be bothered to go see it, they didnt want it that bad.

ColdFrixion

Its not a dead give away.
Sorry, but you have to expect buyers are going to want to see the headstock of a supposed Gibson this day and age. Is it possible the sale is legit? Sure. But refusing to take a picture of something you should've taken a picture of from the getgo is a dead giveaway, in my opinion.

ColdFrixion

Turns out the Les Paul Junior is counterfeit. The advert is still up. I found it on Albuquerque's CL site using Google. I texted the guy and asked if he'd mind adding an image of the headstock to the listing given the prevalence of knockoff's. He got a bit defensive:

"It is unbranded and I am selling it as unbranded. Is that not clear?"

So no, it's not legit.

Last edited:

Kutch

Sorry, but you have to expect buyers are going to want to see the headstock of a supposed Gibson this day and age. Is it possible the sale is legit? Sure. But refusing to take a picture of something you should've taken a picture of from the getgo is a dead giveaway, in my opinion.
You dont buy from a picture. You wouldnt purchase a car from a picture would you? If you want something that badly, go look at it. I wouldnt kiss the a5s of every perspective buyer just because they make demands. Especially with the way most buyers act....."Will you take $300 for it?"................"Sure, im willing to negotiate, what are you seeing as a problem?"..........."Ummm, well"........"so nothing really, i guess you just dont feel like paying what im asking for it - maybe you should come look at it first".

Nobody ever said it was a Gibson, at least not in any of the pictures IVE seen.The whole problem could have been solved by simply asking if it were a gibson or going to check it out.

ColdFrixion

You dont buy from a picture. You wouldnt purchase a car from a picture would you?
No, and we're not talking about making a purchase based on a photograph. We're talking making a reasonable determination as to the authenticity of an item based on a photo, and it can be a hell of a lot faster and more convenient to contact the seller and ask questions / ask for more images than to waste time and gas driving to who knows where without doing so first, especially given we're in the middle of a pandemic.

If you want something that badly, go look at it.
You're putting the cart before the horse. Whether I'd want the guitar in the first place would depend on whether I could establish, with a fair degree of certainty, that it's genuine.

I wouldnt kiss the a5s of every perspective buyer just because they make demands.
Asking for a picture isn't making a demand, and asking if the seller can add an image to the listing is a benefit not just to a particular buyer, but all prospective buyers.

Nobody ever said it was a Gibson, at least not in any of the pictures IVE seen. The whole problem could have been solved by simply asking if it were a gibson or going to check it out.
The seller is advertising the guitar as a Les Paul Junior. Les Paul is a trademark of the Gibson brand, and since no other company has the right to use the Les Paul name, if it's not a Gibson then he shouldn't be advertising it as a Les Paul. In this case, it turned out to be a counterfeit.

Last edited:

Trending Topics