Is this Les Paul worth $1400?

dwolfggc

This has been on my Craigslist for ages.
http://albany.craigslist.org/msg/2479256533.html
I think it's a 2004 and I think the seller has got kind of a stubborn/pride thing about sticking to his price so I probably wouldn't be able to deal much, if at all. I'm interested in it but I'm not sure if it's worth the asking price.
What do you guys think?

Also if I go look at it what should I look for to make sure I'm getting a good deal?

Thanks!

passion4audio

There are fake Les Pauls out there, and craigslist does have its share of dregs (no, not Steve Morse and the Dixie Dregs).

Ask him if it comes with the original Gibson case. Many scammers say they don't have the case.

Ask him if he has the original receipt. Was it purchased from an "official" Gibson dealer?

Google (or, better yet, Scroogle - https://ssl.scroogle.org/ ) how to spot a fake Les Paul. I'm sure you'll find lots of information.

Have you seen and played it in person? Maybe there's a reason it's been available for so long.

b2sc

Silver Supporting Member
Figured top and a nice looking 2 piece back. $1400 is a good price.

zepsongs

Classics are very under rated guitars. $1400 is your average price. Keep in mind these have the slim 60s neck, make sure you are comfortable with it first.

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
Figured top and a nice looking 2 piece back. $1400 is a good price.

That is not a figured top. It's a plain jane Classic that happens to have some mineral streaking but nothing approaching figuring.

$1400 is on the high end of a used Classic but not completely unreasonable. Just know that you won't get that back out of it if you decide to sell.

smcgov

I think its a little on the high side...but not crazy high. I sold my CS Classic (97 i think) for about that on ebay

Mr. Crow

Lots of mentions about the Classics neck size. Since I'm interested in purchasing a LP, I've been looking for one with a 'wider' feeling neck. Something like the neck on a Gibson SG 61 Reissue. I like that feel, these seem to have big shoulders up where the fingerboard starts that has a way of spreading your hand out and making the neck feel wider.

Would these LP Classics have a neck like this? If so, I think I've found my LP version.

jtees4

Good price if legit and hard case. Nice looking, but there are a lot of fakes in the NY area so be careful.

dwolfggc

Ha! For some reason, I knew which LP you were talking about. I've been seeing that one for months.

BTW, Chris' Guitars
http://www.chrisguitars.com/

has a 97 premium Plus for less. It's near the top of the page.

Yeah, it's been the source of some Craigslist drama because it's been on there for a while with no price change.

I always forget about Chris' I need to check there more often.

So it sounds like the consensus is that if I play the guitar and love it then it's an ok price but if not then its not a "can't pass up" kind of deal.

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
Ha! For some reason, I knew which LP you were talking about. I've been seeing that one for months.

BTW, Chris' Guitars
http://www.chrisguitars.com/

has a 97 premium Plus for less. It's near the top of the page.

Good luck getting that guy to EVER return an e-mail or phone call. I've pretty much given up on buying from him, his pre-sale customer service is horrendous.

mikecat

its an average price.
the price depends on who thinks it's worth that much.

if he can't sell it, offer him less.

jkima

As some one has already mentioned it is an average price for a Classic. It would be a good price for a non-hollow Standard....but you can't put a price on desire. You will not be hurt if you buy it.

bsteff666

Good luck getting that guy to EVER return an e-mail or phone call. I've pretty much given up on buying from him, his pre-sale customer service is horrendous.

I've bought a couple of guitars from him & did a trade with him once.

I never had any problems.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom