• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Is this modding, the wrong way?

Strummerfan

I have a friend that I jammed with last night. The guy has a good sized collection, mostly Gibsons, couple of PRS and a a couple of shredders. Most of his guitars are humbucker guitars and only a couple have kept the original pickups. Whenever I go there, he's always giving me a few to play over the night. Last night it dawned on me, he swaps the pickups to the point where all of his guitars sound pretty much the same. So here's my question.
Is he smart, because he's found the tones he likes and is getting them from his collection?
Or is he missing out on a diversity of sounds?
By contrast, I have only four electrics, and they all sound very different. I have a favorite, but sometimes feel like something completely different. What do you guys think?

Strummerfan

He is happy with his guitars, and the last thing I am doing is trying to knock him. He's a great guy and a pretty good player, plus he has the money to spend, he has a pretty busy renovations company. We all have our own approach, and he does love to mod.

Strummerfan

Mayne he does'nt want to re EQ the amp when he switches guitars .
I know many touring players who have that mind set , they have their sound and their effects are setup for that certain sound .
He's a hobby guy these days. We met when we were both on the club circuit, but neither of has gigged in over ten years. He's also a pedal board guy, and wants guitars that will play well with his board.

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
He is happy with his guitars, and the last thing I am doing is trying to knock him. He's a great guy and a pretty good player, plus he has the money to spend, he has a pretty busy renovations company. We all have our own approach, and he does love to mod.
so, basically: he’s having fun, and hasn’t begun to miss out on anything, but you’re judging him anyway and are unwilling to speak directly with him about this, errrrmmm, “problem” that doesn’t actually exist for him..... but it does for you?

Last edited:

bluejazzoid

Silver Supporting Member
People spend countless hours on this forum "discussing" how to achieve the tone of certain famous players, and typically the tone in question (i.e., John Mayer, Hendrix, EVH, etc.) is really just a very narrow slice of what's available in the universe of tonal possibilities for guitar.

But those guys found their tone ---their voice--- and they usually don't vary from it because, well - why would they? It makes them happy! It sounds to me like your friend has found THE tone that brings him joy playing and he's in a good place because of it.

Isn't that what we all want?
:)

JB6464

Silver Supporting Member
People spend countless hours on this forum "discussing" how to achieve the tone of certain famous players, and typically the tone in question (i.e., John Mayer, Hendrix, EVH, etc.) is really just a very narrow slice of what's available in the universe of tonal possibilities for guitar.

But those guys found their tone ---their voice--- and they usually don't vary from it because, well - why would they? It makes them happy! It sounds to me like your friend has found THE tone that brings him joy playing and he's in a good place because of it.

Isn't that what we all want?
:)
I've been that way since the mid 90's when I switched to Soldano amps , once I did I quit looking at other amps as I have found what I was looking for . :aok

Studio Owner

I wonder, when you discuss these things, what is the intention for them?

You said he's a hobbyist. So then it doesn't matter what he does, he should do whatever he likes. And that goes for all of you.

It's almost like these issues are discussed as if we are talking about what is best as a musician, an electric guitarist, or an aspiring one, but that is not actually the case.

If it were, I would say that if you have not written and recorded any substantial work with even one guitar, you have no business at all dicking around with others.

Last edited:

Capstan Philips

Silver Supporting Member
I have three Strats. Two are broadly the same, tonally - SSS with 'vintage' output pickups. However, one is setup up with .010s, decked - the other 0.11s, floating. The former is great for 'general purpose', and the later is great for a twangy Shadows/surf sound. Different fingerboard woods and finishes too, FWIW.

The third Strat has an SSL-5 in the bridge and Tex-Mex elsewhere and is a fantastic 'Rock Strat'.

Does your friend use the same tunings and string gauges on all guitars? Some people I guess just like to mix up the feel and/or aesthetics.

goose1441

I like having guitars that sound different. I mess with amp and pedal settings basically every time I play anyway, so why not? I've found some nice settings/chains that I wouldn't have otherwise because I set it up for one guitar then switched to another that also works well in a different way.

Gclef

Interesting!!

Clearly he is an idiot.

Or a genius.

Lol

I think about this from time to time myself. I always end up adjusting pickups and pedal controls to where I hear something I like. That usually means that things sound pretty similar whether strat, super strat or les paul type.

But there should be diversity with overlap in some cases for continuity's sake.

The more I play mine, the more they start sounding the same to me.
Could it be that I am approaching my strat/tele/super strat/335 slightly different to achieve that? God I hope so.

Either way is fine.
I do a little of both actually.

Top Bottom