Is this normal? DOD Gonkulator question.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 68dripedge, Dec 7, 2017 at 3:16 PM.

1. 68dripedge

68dripedge Member

I picked up a DOD Gonkulator during the recent blowout sale. I have NEVER owned or even played a ring mod before, so I have a question about it that I know you guys will know the answer to.

I understand how the “Freq” knob works on the pedal, but when the pedal is turned on is it supposed to continually “ring” even while you aren’t playing?

I can’t tell from the demo videos I’ve watched on YouTube, because nobody really stops playing for a second. They are either constantly tweaking the knobs while playing or turning it off as they stop playing, so I don’t know if this is normal or not.

Here’s a quick vid I made to show what I’m asking. I’m not playing, just sweeping the “Freq” and then pausing.

2. DigiTechRep

DigiTechRep Silver Supporting Member

There is an internal adjustment that can quiet the carrier noise a bit, but there will always be some bleed at certain frequencies.

68dripedge likes this.
  3. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

I like it that way - lay the guitar down, start knob twiddling....it's cool :)

adamajah likes this.
  4. DigiTechRep

DigiTechRep Silver Supporting Member

First mark it with a Sharpie so you can get back to stock. Use a small phillips jeweller's screwdriver and turn very gently, you should find two settings where the carrier frequency is quietest, it is up to you to decide which setting is best for your usage.
    [​IMG]

EmandoDave, III, Moody Tuner and 4 others like this.
  5. 68dripedge

68dripedge Member

Thanks I’ll try that out! I was just concerned because right out of the box it’s super loud to me but this a new avenue of effect for me and I just wanted to make sure all was well. Thanks for chiming in!

DigiTechRep likes this.
  6. jmoose

jmoose Supporting Member

I had an OG Gonk many years ago... there was always bleed and noise from the carrier tone.

The OG was fixed at B flat, so that was the note of the noise. Love it or hate it.

Was a cool pedal. Think I paid like $25 or $30 on clear out when nobody wanted 'em.

Got some good use out of it, eventually sold it for high bucks and got an EHX Ring Thing.

Well, actually I bought some Zvex junk first... the RT came much later.

Didn't realize the reissue Gonk has the ability to tune the carrier. Nice touch!

BluesCaster and 68dripedge like this.