Is this normal fret wear after about 400 hours of playing?

I've been wondering if this is normal fret wear for about 2.5 years of 3 hours usage a week (approx. 400 hours all together).

300220392_488150379315786_8355955029092713156_n.jpg

300861016_5327073084046047_2051323477057220063_n.jpg

(EDIT: It looks like there are small divots in the frets on the E, A, and D strings in this photo, but they're not; it's just the reflection of the strings. The apparent divots in the G, B, and E strings are, in fact, actual divots.)

Guitar is a Squire Bullet Strat, bought new.

I'm thinking this is quite excessive wear, but I don't know if it's due to me fretting too hard or just softer, lower quality metal for the cheapest Squire guitar series. It's also strangely most noticeable around the B string, even though I don't really spend a massive amount of time around there!

Last edited:
That is shot to hell. I have $100 guitars that havent seen anything even close to that in a decade.
Likely that it is the lowest grade materials used in the Bullet Squier.
Regardless of the reason - you need to get it refretted, it won't be usable for much longer as it is. Should you do so, just ask for stainles steel frets.

Would not surprise me if squier used softer fret wire. I had divots like that after maybe half to a year of playing because I was pressing down too hard. I then replaced frets with stainless steel and they lasted about 5 to 6 times longer but eventually developed same deep divots. Again, from pressing down too hard. I now press lightly and the SS frets are fine.

Reactions: C-4
Damn, I don't have fret wear like that on any guitars that I've spent many more hours on.

The thing is, most people who buy guitars quit well before 400 hours of playing. And most people start with budget level instruments, so you likely won't see too many other similar guitars that have that much time on them. If anything that fret wear might just be a sign of accomplishment - an example of where you really earned upgrading to a higher quality instrument, whenever you get the chance. In any event, I'm sure it will still play fine even with that fret wear.

It's also strangely most noticeable around the B string, even though I don't really spend a massive amount of time around there!
This together with the fact that the wear underneath the B string is unsymmetrical is very strange. I’d put my money on some other cause then playing….although it’s hard to imagine what that could be..

Diamond coated strings? Seriously though that's more wear than I would expect. I've seen 70s strats look like that. Maybe got a bad batch of fret maertial at the assembly line.

Either those frets were crap or you apply abnormally much and totally unnecessary force when you are fretting.

Personally my instruments has almost no fret wear, even my cheap budget ones, after 15 years of regular playing.

In other words, no it is definitely not normal, in fact rather bizarrely abnormal.

Last edited:
I've had a Tele fret wear like that from just one song. I had to do a pedal steel type of bend every turnround on the 2nd fret of the G string and it put a gouge in the fret. Never had that happen before or since. I would expect what I'm seeing here is related to some particular song or set of songs where you are applying more/unusual pressure there.

That is shot to hell. I have $100 guitars that havent seen anything even close to that in a decade.
Likely that it is the lowest grade materials used in the Bullet Squier.
Regardless of the reason - you need to get it refretted, it won't be usable for much longer as it is. Should you do so, just ask for stainles steel frets.
Would you refret at Squier Bullet?
Cheaper to throw it away and get a new.

I concur - combination of cheapo frets and hard pressure.
Nothing can prevent that given the circumstances.

I do disagree with others on one thing though:
If you really like the neck, refret it.
If it's only average, replace it.
Or upgrade to a better Strat.

But when you find a guitar that speaks to you, it's worth keeping.
Regardless of the name on the headstock.

IMO it's not just about what it'd bring if sold, it's about what it's worth to you.

I put that kind of fret wear on a Collings after a couple of years (maybe a little more than 400 hours, but not by tons). The songs were pretty much all around the same frets and I was fretting with too much pressure. How much worse can Squier fret wire be? Who knows.

Hopefully that wear indicates that you really enjoy the guitar and that it's worth a fret dress and eventually new frets. Nice work!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom